For any athlete, injuries happen. Be the one they turn to, with the specialist knowledge and skills to manage their rehabilitation and drive their recovery to peak performance.
Get the opportunity to learn critical sports therapy theory and the matching hands-on skills that make it happen. It’s your chance to get to grips with the expertise that’s vital for caring, managing and rehabilitating sports people.
You’ll learn how to assist athletes with wide-ranging injury assessments and sport-specific rehabilitation programmes. We’ve crafted our modules to give the underpinning principles of sports science and strength and conditioning, so you’ll cover the areas of physiology, psychology, pathology and manual therapy. Moreover, we’ve focused on actual industry skillset demands, so our course also explores functional rehabilitation and contemporary approaches in sports injury management.
We recognise that specific skills can’t always be developed in the classroom. So, you’ll work practically in our industry-standard sports facilities and build up clinical practice experience on our paid placements. Our students are supported to gain experience in real-world environments using our strong industry links of over 120 placement providers across the Northwest - ranging from professional to amateur-level sports clubs.
Why study with us
- Hone your skills on placement with premier league or championship football clubs, National Rugby or Super League Rugby Clubs, or in a range of other sports and clinical environments.
- Bachelor of Science with Honours in Sports Therapy is ranked 12th in the UK with 95% of students satisfied with learning opportunities (National Student Survey 2020)
- This is the first Sports Therapy course in the country to offer students financial support towards the cost of travelling to their placements. We provide full clothing kit and pitch side first aid kit to all our students.
What you'll do
- You’ll study a range of modules designed with the support of the Society of Sports Therapists (SST) so that, when you graduate, you can become a full member.
- Throughout your studies, you’ll work with state-of-the-art facilities, giving you the chance to put the theory into practice, helping injured athletes in their return to competitive sport.
- As part of your studies, you’ll gain an external qualification for FA Pitch side First Aid Qualification, together with a VTCT Level 4 Sports Massage Therapy qualification.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
View the course facilities
- This course has been designed with the support of its accrediting body, the SST, the lead organisation for Sports Therapists in the UK. On graduation you will be eligible for full membership of the organisation.
Our Sport Therapy BSc (Hons) degree programme is shaped around your future, offering the specialist knowledge, practical skills and vital experience to get you ready for professional practice.
This is a degree with a professional focus. We know the value of real-world experience, so you’ll have a range of opportunities to put what you’ve learned into action with real athletes and sportspeople. On one hand, you’ll have placements throughout your studies, helping you gain both skills and contacts of your own. On the other, you can also work in our student-led Sports Therapy and Sports Massage Clinic at the Preston Campus – a fully-functional injury clinic with the availability of the movement analysis lab.
That’s why it’s no surprise that so many of our graduates have developed very successful private injury clinics, while others have jobs in professional and semi-professional sports clubs and organisations. And, now that Sports Therapists often work alongside other health professionals, there are also opportunities to work within the NHS.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Sport and Health Sciences located in the Faculty of Allied Health and Wellbeing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page