Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre
Named after a Preston and England footballing legend, the Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre is our multi-million pound, state-of-the-art indoor facility located at the heart of our Preston Campus.
We offer a range of activities from Students' Union sports clubs to instructor-led classes, court hire and a well-equipped gym.
Our Fitness Suite incorporates more than 100 stations of state-of-the-art Technogym equipment including cardiovascular and resistance machines, an extensive free weight area, core area, 'Cardio Zone' and ‘Row Zone.’
- Inclusive environment – We have an IFI accredited range of equipment that meets design standards to be fully inclusive for disabled users.
- Qualified instructors – Our professional qualified fitness instructors are always on hand to offer training advice and support.
- Fitness assessments – We offer fitness assessments and personal training to get you on the right path and help you achieve your fitness goals.
- Blast classes – If you like to train in small groups but still like the gym environment, we deliver Morning and Afternoon Blast classes which will give you a 30-minute intense fitness suite workout.
- Women’s weights – We also deliver women’s weights classes to build confidence and knowledge in an instructor led session.
For further details, and an up-to-date list of equipment, please contact our reception team.
All UCLan students based at our Preston Campus have free membership to the Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre, as well as the UCLan Sports Arena. There are separate arrangements for students based at our Westlakes and Burnley Campus at their local facilities.
Membership does not include any sports activities organised and funded by the Students' Union such as joining a sports club, competing in British University College Sport, Students' Union Leagues, or any other activity the Students' Union may organise.
We have a range of measures in place to help keep you safe including:
- Keep left systems in all buildings.
- Hand sanitising stations.
- Face coverings must be worn inside of the building, except when you are in the activity areas such as the fitness suite, sports halls and studios.
- Shower facilities and changing rooms are only available for people with disabilities or additional needs.
- Personal items can be placed in the lockers only whilst you are using the facilities.
All activities must be booked in advance using the online booking system. Bookable activities include:
- 50-minute Fitness Suite sessions
- Other activities will be added in the future
Activate your FREE sports membership by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your account will be activated once you have watched the induction video
If you are in at 'at risk' group please follow the NHS guidance.
Please stay safe, wash your hands regularly and follow social distancing recommendations. If you have any questions at any time, please ask a member of staff as we are more than happy to help.
The Students’ Union offers a wide variety of recreational and social sport opportunities. These range from social sessions that are ‘just for fun’ to weekly leagues and one-off tournaments. We welcome everyone of all abilities whether you are a ‘sporty type’ or not.
The University’s sports clubs are coordinated by the Students' Union (Team UCLan).
Although we exist primarily to serve UCLan students and staff, we also organise and facilitate numerous external events throughout the academic year. These can be anything from international sporting competitions to engagement work with schools, charity events and the University’s very own Lancashire Science Festival.
We can provide catering, sporting equipment, on-site car parking, bleacher seating and activity areas of various sizes.
Gallery01 / 10
Scroll or swipe on small screens to see all table columns
Monday - Friday
Saturday - Sunday
Students: Free for all students based at our Preston Campus.
Staff: £9.99 per month, for minimum three months. Payment taken directly from salary or via upfront payment.
Alumni: £150 per year, or £23 per month, for minimum three months.
Casual admissions (staff and registered alumni): £4 per session.