Sport & Exercise Science
Turn your passion in sport and exercise into a career. Develop an expert understanding of human movement. Explore the health benefits of exercise. Discover the challenges of transforming elite athletes into world champions.
Looking for a rewarding yet challenging career in sport? Study our Sport and Exercise Science degree. Focus on improving sporting performance to help individuals achieve their personal potential. From turning a great athlete into a global star, to assisting a patient work their way out of chronic conditions.
You’ll study a range of modules that draw from physiology, psychology and biomechanics. This gives you an in-depth understanding of the human body. What’s more, you can shape the modules to focus on either Health and Fitness or Performance. All taught in our advanced sports science laboratories and our multi-million-pound Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre and Sports Arena.
We support our students with building their industry experience at university. Our rich industry connections allow our students to work with professional athletes at some of the country’s leading sports teams. Then, in your final year, you’ll tackle a research project. This gives you a deep dive into an area of sport and exercise science that interests you most. Preparing you for work in the industry or for further study.
Why study with us
- This course has a 90% student satisfaction rating (National Student Survey 2020). It is part of a division of Sports Science courses that are ranked 13th in the UK by the Guardian League Table, 2021.
- Get taught expert industry-active coaches, researchers and academics on this professional endorsed degree. Accredited by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES).
- Gain a placement with some the country’s leading sports teams.
Sport and Exercise Science gallery01 / 03
Studying Sport and Exercise Science
- You’ll take a multidisciplinary approach. You'll study a range of modules covering physiology, psychology and biomechanics.
- This course offers a strong vocational focus, giving you the practical skills you’ll need in a range of career paths. You’ll have the opportunity to work with professional sports clubs and athletes. You'll build professional skills and gain career-boosting experience.
- You’ll have the option of achieving Level 2 and Level 3 industry recognised qualifications in Gym Instruction, Personal Training and Exercise Referral.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
Sport and Exercise Science facilities
- This course is aligned with the Entry and General Management professional standards outlined by CIMSPA, the professional development body for the UK's sport and physical activity sector. As a member, you will be entitled to attend seminars and meetings and learn from industry professionals. The Health and Fitness pathway on the course allows students the option to meet professional standards in Gym Instruction, Personal Training, Health Navigator and Working with People with Long Term Conditions.
- Our facilities have achieved a BASES Laboratory Accreditation, providing a mark of quality assurance that illustrates the laboratory has undergone meticulous inspection by BASES and that high professional standards of practice have been achieved.
Future careers in sport and exercise
Our Sport and Exercise Science BSc (Hons) degree programme will get you working. There is a strong vocational emphasis on the skills you’ll need for a rewarding career.
This is a degree made for those enthusiastic about working in the field of sport and fitness. Today, you’ll find our graduates at work in a broad range of sectors. From sports bodies, elite sports clubs, leisure companies, gyms and hotels, to retail businesses, local authorities, education and the NHS. Some have even used this degree as a springboard for a career in the armed services or police force.
You could also continue your studies at postgraduate level, opening even more doors for your career. You can go into areas like physiotherapy, sports medicine or research.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Sport and Health Sciences located in the Faculty of Allied Health and Wellbeing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page