Our Sports Arena is Preston’s premier multi-sports venue. We cater for a wide range of outdoor sports such as football, rugby, athletics, hockey, tennis, netball, cycling and rounders.
Free membership for students
Students based at our Preston Campus can use our facilities for free with a Sports Membership. Meanwhile, members of staff and alumni can purchase a monthly or annual membership at a discounted rate.
We have an eight lane Polymeric Athletics Track that conforms to UKA Track-Mark Licence Level 1 standards. The track is available for use by clubs, schools and individual athletes. To use the track you must purchase an Athletics Permit. Permits are available from the Arena Reception.
Our Sports Arena is home to Preston Harriers. The club use the Sports Arena track as their home venue for events, fixtures and training. Find out further information, see the Preston Harriers website.
We have a 1.5km cycle track and a 0.75km junior cycle track, open for use by individuals, clubs and cycle races/meetings. Helmets are compulsory. All users must purchase a daily permit and provide their own helmet.
The track is open for use from 9am to dusk.
The track is sometimes booked for local and regional events and at such times is closed to general users.
Cycle sessions are:
- Monday – Ribble Valley
- Tuesday – North West cycle coaching
- Thursday – Lewis Balyckyi Trust
A Thursday racing night operates from April–August which is open to all cyclists and includes junior races. For more information and the latest prices, please contact reception.
- Ride our mile long track or use us for the starting point for your guild wheel adventure
- Free parking & showers
- Visit our onsite café
- Shower facilities available
- Half-day: £10 (max 4 hours)
- Full-day: £15
We can accommodate all football formats from small sided junior activities right through to senior male and female leagues. We work with numerous leagues and teams and have a healthy relationship with our local professional club, Preston North End. All facilities can be booked on either a casual or block booking basis, depending on availability.
- 1 x FA regulation 11-a-side 3G pitch also available for full contact adult rugby and American football.
- 7 x grass football pitches capable of hosting all formats of junior and adult football.
- 2 x fully enclosed sand based artificial pitches.
- 6 x fully enclosed 5-a-side training pitches.
- 1 x fully enclosed 6/7-a-side training pitches.
We also host weekly junior coaching and holiday soccer schools together with our partner, the Sir Tom Finney Soccer Centre.
The Sports Arena hosts two adjacent, full size floodlit hockey pitches. In recent years the Arena has worked hard to improve the standard of the hockey facilities and had both pitches re-surfaced and upgraded in summer 2010. One pitch is a sand dressed pitch and one a sand filled pitch.
As well as being the home of UCLan & Fulwood Ladies Hockey Club, the Arena hosts various leagues, tournaments and umpiring courses throughout the year. Situated just 10 minutes off the M6 motorway, it is ideally located for local and regional tournaments.
We have four floodlit netball courts available for use by the public, schools and community groups. Balls and bibs are available for hire from central reception at a minimal charge.
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night leagues
- Games are played at 6:30pm, 7:30pm and 8:30pm
- £10 registration fee
- Cash prizes for the winners of each division
We have a number of rounders pitches available either on grass or our all-weather floodlit pitches. We also welcome local and regional rounders tournaments.
We have four floodlit all-weather tennis courts available to hire by individuals or clubs.
Springfields Tennis Club
Springfields Tennis Club is based at the Sports Arena from April to September. Club training sessions are on Monday evenings and potential members are welcome from 6pm.
Matches take place on Wednesday and Thursday evenings.
For more information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are experienced in organising and delivering successful corporate events. We can tailor events to suit the needs of your organisation and there are a number of activities you can choose from. These include football, netball, rounders, cricket, volleyball and athletics (fun sports day activities) or you can choose to enjoy a variety of sports. Prizes are available for teams and individuals.
Hot breakfast and buffet lunches are available with refreshments throughout the day, while Cottam Barn and patio area offers an excellent base for the day.
We have successfully catered for corporate days from Hays Accountancy, McDonalds Restaurants, HASSRA and the University of Central Lancashire.
We can also cater for your needs if you are looking to host a staff meeting, training day or away day. We can provide comfortable seating for up to 30 people, arranged to suit your event. Breakfast, lunch, finger buffet and drinks can also be provided.
A shuttle bus runs Monday to Saturday during term time from the Students' Union.
Two bus routes serve UCLan Sports Arena indirectly:
- Bus 31 – Service from the bus station to Savick and Lea. Bus stop on Fylde Road (outside the C&T building) to Savick Way. There is a short walk from Savick Way, under the railway to the Arena.
- Bus 88 – Bus stop at the bus station or outside the railway station takes you to Cottam primary school. A short walk takes you on a traffic free cycle/footpath to the arena over the Lancaster canal.
University of Central Lancashire Sports Arena
Tom Benson Way
Telephone: +44 (0)1772 761000
Gallery01 / 06
- Final Whistle Cafe
- Cycle hire
- Astroturf indoor training facility
- Seven grass football pitches
- 3G football pitch (floodlit)
- Three grass rugby pitches
- Eight lane international standard athletics track (floodlit)
- Six five-a-side all weather grids
- One seven-a-side all weather grid (enclosed area)
- Two full-size all weather hockey and football pitches, with seven-a-side also available
- Four tennis/netball courts (floodlit)
- Cricket pitch
- 1.5km cycle circuit which include a shorter junior track
- Multi-purpose activity and meetings rooms available for hire
Scroll or swipe on small screens to see all table columns
Monday – Tuesday
9am – 9.30pm
Wednesday – Thursday
9am – 10pm
9am – 7.30pm
Saturday – Sunday
9am – 5pm
Students: Free for all students based at our Preston campus.
Staff: £9.99 per month, for minimum three months. Payment taken directly from salary or via upfront payment.
Alumni: £150 per year, or £23 per month, for minimum three months.