Build on your experience and skills as a community nurse or midwife with our Community Specialist Practitioner postgraduate, Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)-approved course.
Why study with us
- The course is 50% theory, delivered at our main Preston Campus, and 50% practice via a placement.
- You’ll study the key principles of care and programme management, clinical practice development and leadership to meet the diversity of community health and social care needs in a changing climate.
- And you’ll benefit from an expert course team who are all qualified in their field, holding relevant NMC registration and active in publishing their work.
What you'll do
- The course meets the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) professional standards for specialist community practitioner (General Practice Nursing or Community Children's Nursing or Nursing in the Home) (UKCC 2001) and the 'Standards for Approval of Higher Education Institutions and Programmes' (ENB 1997).
- You’ll acquire lifelong, independent learning skills through reflection, critical reading, problem-based activities, directed study, lectures, discussion groups, role play and eLearn (a virtual learning environment).
- Fifty percent of learning will take place within a practice placement.
Please note modules will vary depending on your chosen pathway.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
- This course is validated by the NMC, the nursing and midwifery regulator for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Successful completion of the Community Specialist Practitioner course means you’ll be on record as a community specialist practitioner on the Nursing and Midwifery Council register.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you need extra support because you have unpaid caring responsibilities alongside your studies.Find out more about Carers Bursary
The University offers opportunities for student athletes to be supported with their aspirations of maintaining their playing career whilst also studying for a high-quality degree.Find out more about Sports scholarships
Alumni Loyalty Discount
UK students with a previous award from us will receive 20% tuition fee discount.Find out more about Alumni Loyalty Discount