Kerry qualified as a Registered General Nurse in 1992 from Lancashire College of Nursing and Health, Preston. Prior to joining the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) she has worked in long term conditions, post-operative recovery care and anaesthetics and more recently as a Diabetes Specialist Nurse with acute and community experience. She was a DESMOND educator and worked in promoting the Safer Ramadan project for the people of Preston and Chorley with diabetes. Kerry is also a registered Non-Medical Prescriber and Fellow of the Academy of Higher Education.
Kerry joined the team to support the development of the Trainee Nursing Associate, Higher Apprenticeship programme in April 2019 after joining the School of Nursing at UCLan in 2017. She is a module leader for the long-term conditions taught on the course and utilises her Non-Medical Prescribing experience to support the development of the student’s knowledge in pharmacology and medicines management. Diabetes is still a key element to the teaching provided and Kerry works across the different schools to support the accurate diabetes knowledge for students at all levels. A joint publication in the Nursing Standard relating to managing acute episodes of hyperglycaemia has supported this experience. Broadley, L., Clark, K., & Ritchie, G.L. (2019). Prevention and management of hyperglycaemic crisis. Nursing standard (Royal College of Nursing (Great Britain) : 1987), 34 7, 75-82.
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education University of Central Lancashire, 2020
- BSc (Hons) Professional Practice University of Central Lancashire, 2015
- V300 Non-Medical Prescriber University of Cumbria, 2016
- Developing Practice in Diabetes Management (NP3041) University of Central Lancashire, 2012
- Diploma of Higher Education Clinical Nursing University of Central Lancashire, 2010
- Foundation in Diabetes Management (NP2901) University of Central Lancashire, 2008
- Certificate in Critical Care Skills Development (Distinction) University of Central Lancashire, 2007
- Certificate in Preparation for Mentors (Merit) University of Central Lancashire, 2005
- Principles of Effective Pain Management (ENB N53) University of Central Lancashire, 2002
- Advanced Certificate in Post-Operative Recovery (ENBA94) University of Central Lancashire, 2000
- Nursing Elderly People (ENB 941) St Martins College, Lancaster, 1998