Alison qualified as an RMN in 1986, and spent the majority of her career working in secure mental health and learning disability settings, as a Ward Manager, then Matron / Integrated Team Manager, but has also worked in community and adult and older adult in-patient settings. She teaches across a range of subjects, and is Course leader for the MSc Personality Disorder, the PG Cert Investigating Serious Incidents, and is Programme Lead for the Offender Personality Disorder modules, delivered in collaboration with NHS and HMPPS partners. Areas of professional interest include psychosocial approaches, personality disorder, self injury, family interventions and service user involvement.
Alison has published in psychosocial intervention and personality disorder mental health literature, and regularly offers workshops on working with sexual offenders, and working with Families and Carers of people with severe and enduring mental health problems
- Alison qualified as a mental health nurse in 1986, and worked in clinical practice for 34 years before moving into higher education. She held a range of positions in the NHS, as follows •2011-12 Integrated Team Manager, Forensic Community Mental Health Team, Lancashire Care Foundation NHS Trust (LCFT) 2009-11 Manager/Specialist Practitioner, Forensic Personality Disorder Assessment Team, LCFT
- 2007-09 Integrated Team Manager, Preston Assertive Outreach Team, LCFT
- 2004-07 Modern Matron, Secure Mental Health Services, LCFT
- 2000-04 Forensic CPN / Ward Manager, Secure Mental Health Services, LCFT
- 1997 – 00 Ward Manager, Calderstones (Medium Secure Learning Disability service)
Since commencing at UCLan, Alison has remained clinically active, and holds an Honorary contract as a Psychotherapist at a local NHS Trust, she has also been involved as an external panel member in an external homicide review for an NHS Trust.
- Dip HE Health Studies, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2001
- Bsc (Hons) (First Class) Mental Health Nursing, University of Central Lancashire, 2003
- MSc (Merit) Advanced Practice Interventions for Mental Health – Psychosocial Interventions for Psychosis, University of Manchester, 2009
- PG Cert (Merit) Investigating Serious Incidents, University of Central Lancashire, 2015
- Registered Mental Nurse, 1986
- Personality disorder
- Family interventions
- Honorary Psychotherapist, Lancashire Care Foundation NHS Trust