The MA in International Relations is an interactive and engaging programme aimed at challenging preconceptions and making learning fun and practical.
Why study with us
- The course introduces postgraduate level IR theory and its real-world applications through either international placement or dissertation.
- Dr. Lawrence, the course leader, is an internationally respected expert in terrorism and security. She often consults with government and regularly provides expert commentary to a variety of media outlets.
- Past students have taken international trips to Washington DC, New York, Germany, Prague, Cyprus, Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Taipei, Seoul, and Tokyo.
What you'll do
- The MA in International Relations is a unique degree allowing students the flexibility to select modules that align with their interests and to complete a substantial research project on a topic of their choosing
- We place great emphasis on student-centred learning, which involves you in becoming aware of, reflecting on and evaluating your own achievements
- Students are given the option of completing a placement instead of a dissertation, which will allow students to select and apply for placements with a wide variety of organisations in locations around the world.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
What our students say
The MA course offered me insight into International politics that will stay with me forever. The level of learning coupled with the opportunities it provided me make it an easy recommendation for anyone interested in the subject.
Evan teaches across the politics and international relations programs, both at Masters and Undergraduate level. She has collaborated with various organizations to help embed research into practice and often guest lectures within the field of policing. She is an internationally re…
Dr. Moises de Souza serves as the Course Leader for the International Relations BA programme and teaches a module in Foreign Policy Analysis (FPA). He is also a lecturer in Asia Pacific Studies at the School of Psychology & Humanities and holds the position of Chair at the Northe…
Students who wish to continue to further study will be prepared to take up places in MRes and PhD programmes at the University and around the world. They will additionally be well placed to take up a role in a variety of international organisations who generally require their staff to have a graduate degree for research and analyst roles.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you need extra support because you have unpaid caring responsibilities alongside your studies.Find out more about Carers Bursary
We offer student athletes support and opportunities for their playing careers whilst they study a high-quality degree.Find out more about Sports scholarships
Alumni Loyalty Discount
UK students with a previous award from us will receive 20% tuition fee discount.Find out more about Alumni Loyalty Discount
This course is based in the School of Psychology and Humanities
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page