Nicole is a lecturer of sport and exercise science teaching a range of undergraduate modules. Nicole is research active and also supports the SENS consultancy. Nicole has been working in the sports and fitness industry since 2006 and maintains her work in industry. Nicole works externally with competitive athletes in a range of sports. She currently works for British Weightlifting as part of their coaching education team and maintains a voluntary role as a weightlifting technical official.
Nicole is an early career researcher and works with the allied health research unit (AHrU) and the Centre for Applied Sport and Exercise Sciences (CASES).
In addition to teaching undergraduate modules, Nicole also delivers regular strength and conditioning sessions to scholar athletes and supports consultancy services.
Nicole is currently studying a PhD in strength and conditioning of rock climbers. Nicole has also taken on the role of research champion and lead for the Climbing and Mountaineering special interest group at the university under the Social Prescription Unit.
In Nicole's early career she worked as a ballroom and Latin dance teacher and outdoor instructor. Alongside this Nicole studied vocational qualifications in fitness which led her to transition full time into the fitness industry. As the recession effected industry roles, Nicole decided to travel to New Zealand and combine her skills volunteering with sports clubs and at events before returning to the England to become a full time fitness professional. Here she worked as a freelance personal trainer and class instructor as well as an exercise referral officer for the local YMCA.
Following this Nicole spent 4 years working as a fitness instructor, personal trainer and paddleboard instructor at a number of 5 star resorts in Greece for a active holiday company before returning to England to pursue her undergraduate degree.
During Nicole's undergraduate studies she co founded the first licensed weightlifting club and first powerlifting club within 20 miles on the Fylde coast. Nicole was the lead coach for this club, during which time she coached competitive weightlifters and powerlifters. The club grew and formed partnerships with local clubs, colleges and armed forces. As the club developed she trained up new coaches and launched mentoring and internships with students coaches. Nicole also worked with a local rugby club for a full season as the strength and conditioning coach for the men's first and second team, as well as the women's under 20's.
During Nicole's final year of undergraduate studies she had the opportunity to deliver a series of guest lectures to level 5 students at Blackpool and the Fylde College in strength and conditioning. Once Nicole had completed her undergraduate degree she then went on to work as a higher education lecturer in sport science and an educator for British Weightlifting.
Outside of her work at UCLan Nicole works as a freelance strength and conditioning coach with several athletes to support their training and performance in competitions and events. She also offers consultancy and development for active travel and expeditions on a corporate and individual level (these include mountaineering, rock climbing and polar expeditions). Nicole also works as an external panel member supporting the validation, revalidation and quality assurance of sport and exercise sciences at Solent university.
- PhD Strength and Conditioning, University of Central Lancashire
- MSc Sport and Exercise Science, University of Central Lancashire, 2019
- BSc (Hons) Strength and Conditioning, University of Central Lancashire, 2016
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (M14+) University of Bolton, 2022
- Strength and conditioning
- Female athletes
- Adventure sports
- Sports injuries
- British Weightlifting, Licensed Level 3 Coach
- British Weightlifting, Licensed Level 3 Technical Official
- British Powerlifting, Coach
- International Society of Performance Analysis in Sport, Registered Performance Analyst
- Yoga Alliance, Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher
- Yoga Alliance, Continuing Education Provider
- The Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity, Exercise Referral Practitioner and Personal Trainer
- United Kingdom Strength and Conditioning Association, Associate Member
- National Strength and Conditioning Association, Member
- The International Rock Climbing Research Association, Member
- British Mountaineering Council, Member
- Area Secretary for the North West British Mountaineering Council (BMC)
Nicole is an early career researcher and works with the allied health research unit (AHRU) on research around musculoskeletal health and motor unit behaviour. Nicole is also part of the Centre for Applied Sport and Exercise Sciences (CASES) working on research focussed on monitoring performance, strength and conditioning and coaching. Nicole is also studying a PhD in Strength and Conditioning of Rock Climbing
Use the links below to view their profiles:
- Allied health Research Unit (AHRU)
- Applied Sport and Exercise Sciences (CASES)
- Social Prescription Unit
Use the links below to view their profiles: