Howard is a Senior Lecturer in Sport, Exercise & Nutritional Sciences and teaches across a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses and modules. He has worked at the University of Central Lancashire since 2005 and completed his PhD investigating the efficacy of intermittent altitude training on repeated sprint cycling performance at UCLan in 2010. Howard also provides sport science support as part of the Sport, Exercise and Nutritional Sciences (SENS) consultancy group.
Howard is currently module leader for a number of undergraduate and postgraduate physiology and sports nutrition based modules. Additionally, he is research active and has published extensively in the areas of sports science and nutrition, with particular focus on cycling performance, physiological profiling of cyclists, validation of cycling related technologies and nutritional ergogenic aids. He has also written and co-authored several books including 'Cycling Science', 'Nutrition for Junior Athletes: A Practical Guide for Parents and Coaches' and contributed to the British Cycling Coaching Manuals. Howard has also written numerous articles for a range of cycling publications and The Conversation.
In addition to his teaching and research roles, Howard is also actively involved with providing sports science support to a wide range of elite athletes' and has worked with numerous high performance teams and organisations, including: British Cycling, Cycling Ireland, Swedish Olympic Cycling Team, Polish Junior Cross-country Ski Team, Wigan Athletic FC Academy, Wigan Warriors RLFC, Para-Swimming GB and Great Britain Rugby League.
- PhD in Sports & Exercise Science, University of Central Lancashire.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education, University of Central Lancashire
- M.Phil. in Sports & Exercise Science, University of Central Lancashire
- BSc Combined (Hons) Sports, Recreation, PE and IT (1st Class), Liverpool Hope University College
- Association for Nutrition – Registered Nutritionist
- Higher Education Authority (Fellow)
- International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry.
- XS2601 - Performance Nutrition
- XS2902 - Applied Physiology & Scientific Enquiry
- XS3103 - Training Prescription for the Elite Athlete
- XS3900 - Double Research Project
- XS4301 - Advanced practitioner skills for sport & exercise scientists
- XS4303 - Advanced Practitioner Skills in Sport & Exercise Physiology
- XS4603 - Advances in Sports Nutrition
- XS4900 - Research Project for Sport Exercise & Nutritional Scientists
- Howard's current areas of interest are around knowledge and attitudes to concussion in sport, assessing traumatic brain injury risk in cycling and the physiological assessments of Mountain Biking performance.
- Higher Education Academy (Fellow)
- Association for Nutrition member
- International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry member
- Reviewer for several sports science journals