Our MA Games Design (with optional Professional Placement) course has been designed with industry in mind. It will give you the opportunity to specialise in an area of Games Design, even if your specialism is to be a one-person team and do it all.
Why study with us
- You will develop a portfolio that will give you the advantage in an ever-competitive sector or the ability to become independent developers.
- The University is an official academic partner of the Unreal Engine team.
- You can get involved in our annual cJAM employability event, where you’ll pitch your ideas to industry professionals who are offering work placement opportunities.
Gallery01 / 04
What you’ll do
- Level Design, Concept Art, Board Games, 3D Modelling, Narrative, Game Mechanics, VFX, User Interface and more – What you specialise in is up to you.
- You are encouraged to operate in a specialist area of Games Design and given the creative freedom and necessary skills to develop your own ideas.
- We have an established visiting Industry Speaker programme which includes Lead Designers, 3D Artists, QA, Production and Technical Artists from AAA and independent game development studios.
- DE4401: Research Methodologies
- DE4402: Research in Context
- DE4403: Reflective Practice
- DE4404: Experimental Practice
- DE4405: Specialist Practice
- XB4406: Games Design Advanced Practice
DE4401: Research Methodologies
In this module, you'll develop your knowledge and application of theory to underpin practical investigations. Expand your research skills by conducting a review of relevant literature and in contextual reflection for developing and positioning your own practice.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by October 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View our course facilities
Josh has over ten years’ experience in the Games Industry working mainly as a Lead Art/Art Director and has experience in concept art, 2D art, modelling, animation and user interface design. He was most notably the Lead Artist on ‘Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone’. He main...
- The course is part of the Unreal Academic Partner Program. Which recognises UCLan’s provision of experienced staff and high-quality resources. As well as our commitment to excellent student experience in preparation for their future careers.
Our Games Design graduates have gone onto a variety of highly successful games companies, for example Warner Brothers, Ninja Theory, Rare, Naughty Dog and Riot Games. Our Graduates have also gone on to create their own development studios such as White Paper Games.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you need extra support because you have unpaid caring responsibilities alongside your studies.Find out more about Carers Bursary
The University offers opportunities for student athletes to be supported with their aspirations of maintaining their playing career whilst also studying for a high-quality degree.Find out more about Sports scholarships
Alumni Loyalty Discount
UK students with a previous award from us will receive 20% tuition fee discount.Find out more about Alumni Loyalty Discount