Our MA Games Design (with optional Professional Placement) course has been designed with industry in mind. It will give you the opportunity to specialise in an area of Games Design, even if your specialism is to be a one-person team and do it all!
Why study with us
- You will develop a portfolio that will give you the advantage in an ever-competitive sector or the ability to become independent developers.
- The University is an official academic partner of the Unreal Engine team.
- You can get involved in our annual cJAM employability event, where you’ll pitch your ideas to industry professionals who are offering work placement opportunities.
Degree Show 2022
Discover the award-winning creative work produced by our postgraduate Games Design students. The degree show features work in a range of mediums by students from the School of Arts & Media.
Gallery01 / 04
What you’ll do
- Level Design, Concept Art, Board Games, 3D Modelling, Narrative, Game Mechanics, VFX, User Interface and more – What you specialise in is up to you.
- You are encouraged to operate in a specialist area of Games Design and given the creative freedom and necessary skills to develop your own ideas.
- We have an established visiting Industry Speaker programme which includes Lead Designers, 3D Artists, QA, Production and Technical Artists from AAA and independent game development studios.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View our course facilities
- The course is part of the Unreal Academic Partner Program. Which recognises UCLan’s provision of experienced staff and high-quality resources. As well as our commitment to excellent student experience in preparation for their future careers.
Our Games Design graduates have gone onto a variety of highly successful games companies, for example Warner Brothers, Ninja Theory, Rare, Naughty Dog and Riot Games. Our Graduates have also gone on to create their own development studios such as White Paper Games.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Arts and Media located in the Faculty of Culture and Creative Industries
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page