Want to work in an award-winning commercial publishing business? Study our MA Publishing and gain real-world experience at our on-site indie publisher, UCLan Publishing.
Why study with us
- We have an extensive network in industry – working across different genres and publishing houses – who visit regularly to support student learning.
- This is a highly vocational MA programme designed to support CV building. It's ideal for those needing more work experience or for career changers.
- We are the founders of the Northern Young Adult Literary Festival. An Arts Council funded festival designed to make Children’s and Young Adult books more accessible to an audience in the North. The festival has had prestigious authors attend. From Juno Dawson, Holly Bourne, Melinda Salisbury, Matt Killeen, Patrice Lawrence to Yaba Badoe.
Gallery01 / 08
What you'll do
- We provide opportunities for students to immerse themselves in the world of Publishing. You can opt to take part in our mentoring initiative. Gain alumni and/or industry mentoring to build a network for your professional development. We have also taken students on trips to London Book Fair and Bologna Book Fair.
- Students will work on a live project for their MA qualification. This means working with an author to produce a book to professional standards. Where possible, we also work interdisciplinary and this has included working with Illustration, Creative Writing, Photography, Film and TV, Animation and Acting.
- The curriculum has been designed so every component is incredibly practical. This is to help you develop a wide range of soft and hard skills sought after in industry.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
Alexa has been teaching Publishing at UCLan since 2016. She is a Fellow of the Higher Education Association for Teaching and Learning and is a key member of the senior strategic team for growing the independent publishing business, UCLan Publishing. Prior to UCLan, Alexa worked i…
Dr. Noble has been the Digital Publishing Lecturer on the MA Publishing course as well as being Digital Director for UCLan Publishing and published criminologist for a decade. He is expert in these fields and is a fellow and founder member of UCRU (UCLan Cybercrime Research Unit)…
Hear from our students
What really makes the course worthwhile is that UCLan has its own publishing house alongside everything. The highlight so far has been being involved in decision-making within the business.
What jobs can you get with a Publishing degree?
UCLan has a rich history of teaching publishing and helping graduates to get jobs in industry and related fields. Examples of our graduates' career paths include:
- Sales Manager
- Senior Brand Manager
- Senior Commissioning Editor
- Publishing entrepreneur
- Project Co-Ordinator
- Contracts Assistant
- Head of Rights
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you need extra support because you have unpaid caring responsibilities alongside your studies.Find out more about Carers Bursary
We offer student athletes support and opportunities for their playing careers whilst they study a high-quality degree.Find out more about Sports scholarships
Alumni Loyalty Discount
UK students with a previous award from us will receive 20% tuition fee discount.Find out more about Alumni Loyalty Discount
Working with UCLan and their students is creative pleasure. They offer a uniquely hands-on insight into the whole world of Publishing, from concept right through to the finished book in a bookshop.