MA Ceramics (with optional Professional Placement) is a challenging course that embraces the unique creative potential of clay.
This course embraces all facets of ceramic work, including craft and design, functional and decorative, one-off and mass production, and sculptural and architectural.
Rooted in ‘making’, it offers a distinctive blend of practice and theory. Our focus is on giving you the opportunity to explore and realise your individual aspirations and potential, allowing you to develop the skills necessary for a professional career.
Your tutors will work with you to craft a uniquely individual, tailor-made programme of study which will help you achieve your ambitions.
Why study with us
- You’ll have access to an extensive range of workshop and studio facilities, including specialist ceramic and digital prototyping equipment.
- We have links with a number of international ceramics programmes, opening up opportunities for overseas study and work placements.
- Your tutors on this course are professional practitioners who regularly exhibit their work nationally and internationally.
Degree Show 2022
Discover the award-winning creative work produced by our postgraduate Ceramics students. The degree show features work in a range of mediums by students from the School of Arts & Media.
Micaela talks about her time studying here
Gallery01 / 05
What you'll do
- You can choose to work within any area of contemporary ceramic practice – design (tableware, sanitary-ware, domestic products, surface, architectural etc.), production (prototyping, hand formed, or sculptural) or applied technology.
- You’ll get insights into the very best contemporary work and the most influential historical works in ceramics.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View our course facilities
We have links with UK-based ceramic organisations and events, so you’ll have access to industry contacts and opportunities to exhibit your work. We also have links overseas, so you could get the chance to work, study and exhibit your work in another country.
By the end of the course you’ll have produced an extensive body of work to a professional standard.
You’ll have developed advanced practical skills which will enable you to pursue a career in the world of ceramics.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Arts and Media located in the Faculty of Culture and Creative Industries
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page