On our MA Graphic Design (with optional Professional Placement) course you’ll have the opportunity to develop your own choice of personal topic(s) within the wide arena of visual communication. This will be guided by your research and support from your supervisor.
Why study with us
- The opportunity for a structured work experience will be provided for every student who requests it.
- You’ll have access to an excellent library of traditional and digital books/magazines and computers loaded with the latest industry software (such as the Adobe Creative Suite).
- Study trips are an important part of the research activity that brings design to life. We’ve taken students on study trips to London, Berlin, Amsterdam and New York in recent years.
Flora talks about her time studying here
Gallery01 / 07
What you'll do
- You’ll get to attend lectures from guest speakers and practicing designers who are at the top of their profession.
- Every year we hold a Design Conference Week featuring various national and international guest speakers from all areas of graphic design, branding, advertising, illustration, media and digital design.
- At the end of the course your work will go on display at a public exhibition.
- DE4401: Research Methodologies
- DE4402: Research in Context
- DE4403: Reflective Practice
- DE4404: Experimental Practice
- DE4405: Specialist Practice
- DE4409: Graphic Design Advanced Practice
DE4401: Research Methodologies
In this module, you'll develop your knowledge and application of theory to underpin practical investigations. Expand your research skills by conducting a review of relevant literature and in contextual reflection for developing and positioning your own practice.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
What I love about my course is that all the tutors are passionate, friendly and supportive. There are lots of opportunities like working in a design agency with top designers, working on real life briefs and entering competitions.
Graphic Design facilities
Jonathan has worked as a designer, illustrator, fine artist and maker of bespoke architectural concrete furniture. He has lectured at Glasgow School of Art, Edinburgh College of Art. He teaches primarily on the Graphic Design undergraduate course across a wide range of modules.
Many of our graduates have gone on to secure high profile roles in leading graphic design and creative agencies, both nationally and internationally.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you need extra support because you have unpaid caring responsibilities alongside your studies.Find out more about Carers Bursary
The University offers opportunities for student athletes to be supported with their aspirations of maintaining their playing career whilst also studying for a high-quality degree.Find out more about Sports scholarships
Alumni Loyalty Discount
UK students with a previous award from us will receive 20% tuition fee discount.Find out more about Alumni Loyalty Discount