Periodontology is a specialist area of dentistry which focuses on the supporting structures around the teeth and the conditions that affect them. Our Master’s in Clinical Dentistry (MClinDent) is ideal if you’re a dental professional looking to advance your skills in this area.
On this course you’ll undertake authentic clinical training and education, delivered both online and face-to-face, preparing you to provide safe and appropriate treatment as part of your clinical practice. The main focus is on patient management and the delivery of appropriate, evidence-based clinical care. There are supporting modules on critical appraisal, research strategies and clinical audit.
During this two-year course you’ll attend teaching sessions within the School of Dentistry on our Preston Campus. The early part of the course will consist of lectures together with practical sessions in our state-of-the-art phantom head facility. You’ll then progress to working on live patients under close supervision in the University’s Dental Clinic. Here you’ll be supported to assess, undertake and ultimately lead in clinical treatment.
By the end of the course you’ll have acquired the advanced skills and knowledge required of a professional Dentist.
Please note: this course is not recruiting for 2022/23 entry
Why study with us
- This course is perfect for the busy dental practitioner. You’ll combine teaching and practical sessions on campus with a wealth of supporting materials which you’ll be able to access and study online.
- The course benefits from small group sizes, meaning there’s an informal and supportive learning environment.
- The University works in conjunction with governing dental bodies, ensuring that the curriculum facilitates the development of transferable skills, which you can apply to your clinical practice.
Subject to validation
Please note that Periodontology, MClinDent is subject to validation which may result in changes to the course structure. Any changes as a result of the validation will be immediately included and highlighted in the course documentation and all students holding current offers will be provided with a comprehensive list of those changes. If you are not satisfied with the changes, you will be offered the opportunity to withdraw from the programme and, if required, reasonable support to transfer to another provider. For further information please see our important information.
What you'll do
- You’ll have access to our outstanding facilities, including our state-of-the-art phantom head facility for practising your skills.
- You’ll plan and treat real patients in our University Dental Clinic, under the direct clinical supervision of experienced consultants and specialists.
- You will enjoy a teaching faculty led by Dr Nic Hodson, a highly experienced Consultant in Restorative Dentistry, who has been a course leader at the University for a number of years.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Dentistry located in the Faculty of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page