Discover a combination of subjects that puts the health of the nation in your hands, with an evidenced-based approach to nutrition and exercise science to help combat poor food choices and sedentary lifestyles.
Why study with us
- 4thin the UK for learning opportunitiesNational Student Survey (Nutrition and Dietetics) (compared with unis in the Guardian University Guide)
- 6thin the UK for teaching on the courseNational Student Survey (Nutrition and Dietetics) (compared with unis in the Guardian University Guide)
- Study on one of only six courses in the UK endorsed by the Sport and Exercise Nutrition Register.
- Benefit from being taught by registered nutritionists, clinical and exercise physiologists and experienced industry professionals.
- From Year 2 specialise by following the Human Nutrition Pathway or the Health and Fitness Pathway.
What you'll do
- This course produces skilled graduates who will fill the gap between the medical profession and the fitness industry. You’ll develop an understanding of the pathophysiology of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, obesity, cancer and metabolic diseases, as well as learning how to create effective exercise and nutritional interventions.
- This course provides opportunities to undertake work experience, support real-world research as well as study abroad via student exchange programmes. We have links with universities in the United States, Canada and China.
- Throughout your degree you will have access to a range of facilities which includes our BASES accredited Physiology laboratory and specialist nutrition and food chemistry equipment to aid teaching and research.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
- This course is aligned with the Entry and General Management professional standards outlined by CIMSPA, the professional development body for the UK's sport and physical activity sector. As a member, you will be entitled to attend seminars and meetings and learn from industry professionals. The Health and Fitness pathway on the course allows students the option to meet professional standards in Gym Instruction, Personal Training, Health Navigator and Working with People with Long Term Conditions.
- Our facilities have achieved a BASES Laboratory Accreditation, providing a mark of quality assurance that illustrates the laboratory has undergone meticulous inspection by BASES and that high professional standards of practice have been achieved.
- The SENR outlines professional standards and competences for Sport and Exercise Nutritionists. In so doing it guides the development of Sport and Exercise Nutrition curriculum, provides career development pathways for aspiring Sport and Exercise Nutritionist.
A thoroughly enjoyable and life changing experience.
Stephanie is the academic team leader for Sport, Nutrition and Clinical Sciences and Course Leader for Nutrition and Exercise Sciences. Stephanie is a Nutritional Biochemist with a PhD in Clinical Biochemistry with an interest in dietary micronutrients and antioxidants in health…
April is the module leader for the foundation entry and teaches across undergraduate courses delivering nutritional and personal fitness content in addition to module lead for Exercise Referral. April has expertise with techniques for body composition analysis, capillary blood sa…
The knowledge and skills you’ll develop on our Nutrition and Exercise Sciences BSc (Hons) programme can help you chart a future in research, healthcare, sport, food industry, teaching and more.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you are from a low income household our Financial Bursary may be able to help.Find out more about Financial Bursary
This course is based in the School of Health, Social Work and Sport
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page