April is module lead for foundation and teaches across undergraduate courses delivering nutritional & personal fitness content in addition to module lead for Exercise Referral. April has expertise with techniques for body composition analysis, capillary blood sampling for glucose, triglyceride and total cholesterol analysis as well as nutritional assessments.
April had recently completed her Doctorate in Nutrition education in cardiac rehabilitation and continues to work along side Heartbeat NW leading cardiac rehabilitation programme. This close partnership offers students the chance to complete modules and /or volunteer opportunities to gain knowledge and experience working within this special population. Melia, April Anne, Lowe, Nicola M., Sinclair, Jonathan Kenneth and Dillon, Stephanie (2016) Evaluation of nutritional knowledge, understand and practice of patients who attend a cardiac rehabilitation program in Preston. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 75 (OCE3). ISSN 0029-6651
April has over 20 years’ experience working within the health and fitness industry; the majority of which has been spent working with individuals with learning difficulties and/or physical disabilities such as cardiac conditions. the last 6 years working with Heartbeat to develop a framework for nutrition education within cardiac rehabilitation.
- PhD Nutrition based intervention with Cardiac Rehabilitation Patients
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Higher Education (PgCert. HE)
- BSc (Hons) Exercise Nutrition and Health
- REPS level 3 Personal Trainer
- REPS level 3 Lifestyle and Fitness Assessment
- REPS Level 4 BACPR Specialist exercise professional, Cardiac Rehabilitation
- REPS Level 4 Cancer Rehabilitation
- YMCA Level 3 Award in Assessing Vocationally Related Achievement
- Associate Fellow of The Higher Education Academy
- BACPR cardiac rehabilitation exercise professional
- British Cardiovascular Society
- Nutrition Society