International students

International Students

international first few days

The first few days at university can be very daunting for any new student, but when you’re also arriving in a new country, we know it can be even more overwhelming. Please don’t worry, there will be plenty of people around to help you on your way. You’ll soon feel right at home. Follow the handy steps below to make your first few days stress-free!

Course Enrolment

Enrolment is the formal process which will confirm your status as a UCLan student. You need to enrol before you can begin your studies. To do this you should go to The <i> Student Information Centre on the ground floor of the Library. The friendly and dedicated team there can check your documents and take you through the enrolment process.

Check your timetable

You'll have a busy schedule during your first few days, so make sure you've checked your weekly timetable on the Student Portal. You can also access your timetable. Remember to take the following documents with you to enrolment:

  • Passport
  • Visa letter from the UK Home Office
  • CAS Letter
  • Original Academic Qualification Certificates
  • Biometric Residence Permit (if you have one)
  • ATAS Certificate (If required)

TV Licensing and Council Tax

Regardless of the device you’re using, if you are planning to watch or record programmes at the same time as they are broadcast, you will need a TV licence. Further information on TV licensing is available via the TV Licensing website or by calling 0300 790 6071

If you are a full-time student and living in a hall of residence or a property where all the adult residents are also full-time students, you should be exempt from paying Council Tax. However, if you are living in a property that is occupied by a mixture of full-time students and part-time or non-students, then you will have to pay your share of a household Council Tax bill. Further guidance on how to check your eligibility or apply for an exemption certificate can be found on our Student Support pages.

Healthcare whilst at UCLan

Most international students are entitled to see an NHS doctor free of charge during their time at University. We advise that you register with a Doctor as soon as you arrive at UCLan, rather than waiting until you become ill. The University of Central Lancashire has its own on-campus Medical Centre located in Foster Building. You can register in person or by calling 01772 892598. Alternatively you can register with a local NHS GP. For dental treatment, you will need to register via the NHS Helpline or register with the UCLan Dental Clinic located in Allen Building.

Please note: If you are using the 6-month 'student visitor' route or the 6-month 'short-term student' route you should make sure you have private health insurance from the beginning of your stay.


Registering with the Police

If your visa requires you to register with the police you will need to do this within seven days of arrival in the UK. If you will be living in Preston, this can be done on the ground floor of the Library between 9am and 5pm on Thursday 18th January 2018.

You will need to make an appointment before you register with the police. Details of how you register for an appointment will be provided in your Welcome Pack or from The <i> - The Student Information and Support Centre on the ground floor of the Library.

letter requests

Banking, council tax and letter requests

If you require a letter confirming your student status to give to the bank, local councils for council tax exemption or for any other organisation, you can request this by using our online letter request service. If you require a letter urgently, please go to The <i> Student Information Centre.

You will need to open a UK bank account during your stay at UCLan. It's best to do that as soon as possible, especially if you've brought cash with you from your home country. Barclays Bank will be on campus during Welcome Week to help new students open accounts, and there are branches of all major UK banks in Preston centre. You can request a letter from the <i> Student Information Centre to give to the bank confirming your status as a student.

Banking sessions are on the following dates....

  • Thursday 18th January 2018 – Sessions at 1pm and 3pm, in Library room 115.



Library & IT Induction

The UCLan library offers thousands of books, excellent computer facilities and staff support. It is also open 24/7 during term time to support you in your studies whether you’re an early bird or night owl. In your first few weeks you will have the opportunity to find out how things work in the Library by completing online Library and IT Inductions.

student support

Student Support

While you are studying at our Preston Campus you will receive academic administrative support from one of our six support hubs. These hubs provide face-to-face help and guidance on anything from timetable and course enquiries to professional placements and module registration. Find your nearest Academic Support Hub.

If you have ANY queries or concerns during your time at UCLan, you'll find a team of friendly, knowledgeable Student Advisors who are ready to help. The <i> Student Information Centre can be found on the ground floor of the Library.

good to know

Good To Know

Now that you’ve arrived on campus, there’s loads of information that you will need to get to grips with. Check out our Good To Know section to help get your first few weeks off to a flying start! From a handy campus map and academic calendar to study skills workshops and applying for your free sports membership – this section is your one stop shop to life at UCLan. You can also find out about the UCLan Students Union events.