Sports Coaching places you at the forefront of coaching practice. Apply your skills and experience to real world contexts across the UK and abroad.
Our programme supports the strategic objectives outlined in the UK Coaching Framework.
This framework is our challenge and it enables us to produce postgraduates with a high degree of knowledge and understanding to innovate in their own practice. You’ll apply new skills in real world contexts across professional and amateur sport.
You’ll gain knowledge of leadership, communication, pedagogy, allied sport sciences and relevant management principles, all whilst working in an environment relevant to your developmental needs. The programme can be completed full time in one year or part time over 2-3 years.
Why study with us
- You can either study on Campus one day per week or take a more flexible approach and study online with the support of a tutor and online resources.
- Learn about life in the sports industry through guest lectures - representatives from Bolton Wanderers Football Club and Wigan Warriors Rugby League Club are just some of our speakers.
- The course team have a wealth of experience both within academia and in the sports industry and you’ll be taught by academics who are actively researching and publishing.
What you'll do
- Engage with professional sports clubs, local authorities, international sports agencies and national governing bodies.
- Build your portfolio of current practice, coach reports, case study reports, debates, critical reflections and presentations.
- There are no examinations on this course, as our assessments are relevant to the coaching sector.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
The School has strong links with a large number of sports organisations, including professional sports teams, public and private sector sports providers and grassroots sports clubs. We regularly invite guest speakers from industry to speak on this course.
This represents a valuable opportunity for you to meet potential employers and learn about life in the sports industry. Guest lectures have been delivered by representatives of Wigan Warriors Rugby League Club, Bolton Wanderers Football Club, Blackburn Rovers Football Club, Lancashire Football Association, The Rugby Football League and Preston City Council.
The MSc Sports Coaching course also benefits from a number of unique opportunities. Within the School there are strong links with the University’s Institute of Coaching and Performance (ICaP). The School is also responsible for the delivery of the PGDip in Elite Coaching (UKCC Level 4 Coach Education: Pentium Group). As both ICAP and PGDip are central to the School, there are a number of opportunities to share current research and practice from within the elite coaching environment.
Our graduates have gone on to gain positions within the public, private or voluntary sector of sport in a range of coach, coach development, coach education, coach mentoring, management and academic roles.
Examples of roles from our past graduates include:
- Lecturers at FE/HE colleges: Myerscough College, Burnley College, Accrington and Rossendale College.
- Football Coach / Coach Educator: Beijing International Junior Football League.
- Norwich City Community Sports Foundation: Football Coach.
- Head Coach Great Britain & England men's hockey team.
- Performance Analyst: Preston North End Football Club / Blackburn Rovers Football Club / Fleetwood Town Football Club.
- Cricket Coach at Twenty20 Cricket Company
- Multi Sports Coach/Sports Co-ordinator for National Deaf Children Society.
- Head Swim Coach / Coach Educator – North West Swimming.
- National Player Development Manager, Rugby Football League.
- England Regional Performance Coach with The Rugby Football League.
- Lecturers at UCLan / Salford University.
- PhD students at UCLan.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Sport and Health Sciences located in the Faculty of Allied Health and Wellbeing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page