If you are working within the optical industry and wish to follow a fast-track path to a master’s qualification while working, the three-year MSc Optometry is a good choice. Our blended learning format enables you to embed learning from the on-campus study blocks into your clinical practice.
Why study with us
- Gain real-world skills in our specialist Dispensing and Optometry Pre-Clinical lab.
- Our on-campus Eye Health Clinic is the student-led equivalent of a high street optical practice, meeting the eyecare needs of members of public.
- Your last year combines the Optometry Scheme for Registration period with your master’s research project module (a dissertation on an area of your personal or professional interest).
Course subject to change
Please note that Optometry, MSc is being reapproved under the University’s normal cycle of review. As such, the course structure and content may be changed to enable the University to deliver a better quality of educational experience to students. Any changes as a result of the reapproval will be immediately included and highlighted in the course documentation and all students holding current offers will be provided with a comprehensive list of those changes. For further information please see our important information.
Join our Vision Sciences and Hearing Aid Audiology event
Find out more about our unique courses within the eye and hearing sciences sector.Register for the virtual event
Gallery01 / 05
What you'll do
- We arrange specialist clinical experience, such as hospital ophthalmology observations, with close working partners such as East Lancashire Hospital Trust.
- On campus block sessions include guest lectures by industry colleagues on topics such as specialist contact lenses or getting a good image using an OCT.
- You will work with volunteer patients who form a part of the general communication skills teaching resources as well as volunteers from visual impairment charities.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Looking to start your postgraduate journey?
Our range of subjects and study modes can support your goals, take your next step with a postgraduate degree.Discover more
View the course facilities
- This course is accredited by the General Optical Council (Provisional Approval). They are the regulator for optical professions in the UK and set standards for optical education and training, performance and conduct. Whilst under provisional approval, students recruited on to the programme are not guaranteed entry to the GOC Register and may be required to undertake additional assessments through an alternative GOC approved education provider in the event that any aspect of the programme when delivered does not satisfy the GOC standards. You will need to be registered them throughout the duration of your studies.
As a registered Optometrist, you have the opportunity to start your own business or be self-employed, work in a primary care (high street optical practices) or hospital setting.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Medicine located in the Faculty of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page