School of Medicine
Peter Black MBA FBDO FEAOO is a registered dispensing optician and senior lecturer in vision science / ophthalmic dispensing. He is a practical examiner, assessor and Past President of the Association of British Dispensing Opticians, a member of the General Optical Council Registration Committee. Peter is Chair of the Joint Optical Committee to Europe, representing the UK to the European Council of Optometry and Optics, and in May 2017 was awarded fellowship of the European Academy of Optometry and Optics. He is an award winning author of numerous CET articles in various optical journals and has a regular column in Dispensing Optics - Black Arts.
Peter is Course lead for BSc (Hons) Ophthalmic Dispensing and module lead for Module VS0001 (Introduction to Ophthalmic Dispensing and Optometric Practice) and VS0002 (Further Ophthalmic Dispensing and Contact Lenses). He also teaches on Module VS0003 (Advanced Ophthalmic Dispensing and Ocular Abnormalities) and VS0004 and VS0005 as required.
Peter Black MBA FBDO FEAOO is a registered dispensing optician and senior lecturer in vision science / ophthalmic dispensing. He is a practical examiner, assessor and Past President of the Association of British Dispensing Opticians and a member of a the statutory Registration Committee of the General Optical Council. He is Chair of the Joint Optical Committee to Europe, representing the UK to the European Council of Optometry and Optics, and in May 2017 was awarded fellowship of the European Academy of Optometry and Optics. Peter’s background is from industry. He is also a Director of continuing education & training (CET) provider Orbita Black Limited which provides optical, retail and business improvement training and advice to the eyecare sector. He spent two years in Professional Services as head of Dispensing Standards for Boots Opticians, and prior to that over 25 years at regional chain Conlons Opticians where as Development Director he had overall responsibility for continuing education and training. Peter has won several awards for his CET articles including the 2019 Dispensing Optics Readership prize for his series on Infection Control in Optical Practice, and the 2019 Vision UK John Thompson Memorial Award for his collaborative CET roadshow Seeing Beyond the Eyes which aims to raise awareness of visual impairment amongst eye care professionals. He writes regularly for leading industry journals including "Optician" and "Dispensing Optics" in which he has his own regular column "Black Arts"
- MBA. Master of Business Administration, University of Liverpool, 2005
- Certificate of Training Practice, Institute of Personnel and Development, 1994
- Diploma in Ophthalmic Dispensing, Glasgow Caledonian University, 1988
- 2019 Dispensing Optics Readership prize for CET articles Infection Control in Optical Practice
- 2019 Vision UK John Thompson Memorial Award for CET Roadshow Seeing Beyond the Eyes
- Co-author of Optician Magazine CET Series Fundamentals of Ophthalmic Dispensing
- Co-author of Optician Magazine CET Series Fundamentals of Eye Care Practice
- Collaborator on Seeing Beyond the Eyes CET roadshow aiming to put low vision higher on the eye care agenda.
- Currently an apprentice academic practitioner aiming to become a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and studying level 7 PG Cert in Academic Practice
- Chair, Joint Optical Committee to Europe representing UK to European Council of Optometry and Optics
- General Optical Council Registration Committee
- Optical Confederation Joint Education Committee
- Vision UK Ophthalmic Public Health Committee
- Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO) Assessor
- ABDO Practical Examiner
- ABDO Examination Script Marker
- Accredited CET Provider and Director of Orbita Black Limited
- Authored / presented 100+ Continuing Education and Training Sessions in current CET cycle including the major UK optical conferences / exhibitions, 2 national roadshows and too many local events to mention:
- 100% Optical London - Frame materials discussion workshop - Feb 2020
- Eyecare Glasgow - Modern Lenses Problem Solving Workshop - Jan 2020
- European Council Optometry and Optics - Athens - European Standards relating to Optics - October 2019
- Optrafair Birmingham - Seeing Beyond the Eyes - 12 1-hour sessions in all - April 2019
- 100% Optical Modern Lenses, Frame Materials and Rimless Repair Workshops - January 2019
- Eyecare Glasgow - Saving Sight Supporting Sight Loss - January 2019
- Royal Society of Medicine - Primary Care Update. Saving Sight, Supporting Sight Loss. September 2018
- Seeing Beyond the Eyes. Saving Sight, Supporting Sight Loss. 30+ venues nationwide. April 2018 – Feb 2019
- Optrafair. Infection Control in Optometric Practice. April 2018
- - Specsavers MiniPAC. Paediatric Dispensing Discussion Workshop. 10 dates Mar-May 2018.
- 100% Optical. Modern Lenses. A Problem-Solving Workshop. February 2018
- Eyecare Glasgow. Rimless Skills Workshop. January 2018
- European Academy of Optometry and Optics - Barcelona. Everyday Eye Conditions Peer Discussion. May 2017