Sports Coaching & Performance (Foundation Entry)
Serious about sports coaching? This Sports Coaching & Performance Foundation Entry degree will develop your academic knowledge, skills and understanding of the coaching process.
Foundation Entry degree courses are ideal if you’ve got the ability to study for a degree, but don’t have the necessary formal qualifications to directly join an honours programme. It’s a great stepping stone to a full degree.
We’ve shaped a degree to give you the skills, experiences and networks that can thrust you to the forefront of coaching practice. It’s a programme rooted in applied practice – ensuring that you have plenty of opportunities to turn academic theory into action, with vocational experiences in the real world of professional and amateur sport.
With a range of option modules, you can tailor your degree to your passions, strengths and career goals. By focusing on all areas of athlete development, you can create a path into performance analysis, talent development and elite environments. You’ll gain professional body qualifications throughout, so you’ll be ready for a professional career when you graduate.
Whatever direction you take, you’ll cover various topics that aid player development and underpin performance coaching. Then, in your final year, you’ll undertake an independent project – your chance to develop your specialist area of knowledge that will set you apart.
Why study with us
- You’ll explore coaching in a range of settings, including community, grassroots, elite, international and disability sport.
- You’ll develop transferable vocational skills as you progress through the programme.
- There’s also the option to specialise in specific areas that interest you, from match analysis, strength and conditioning to sports psychology and sport and international development.
What you'll do
- The programme covers a range of physical, technical and psychological elements that underpin performance coaching.
- There’s a focus on developing your professional and academic skills as you acquire the knowledge that’s essential for a career in performance coaching.
- You’ll have opportunities to supplement teaching with real world practical experiences and opportunities.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
View the course facilities
- This course is endorsed by leading professional body UK Coaching, who aim to make lasting improvements to coaching in the UK - from grass-roots through to elite performance levels.
- This course is aligned with the Entry and General Management professional standards outlined by CIMSPA, the professional development body for the UK's sport and physical activity sector. As a member, you will be entitled to attend seminars and meetings and learn from industry professionals. The Health and Fitness pathway on the course allows students the option to meet professional standards in Gym Instruction, Personal Training, Health Navigator and Working with People with Long Term Conditions.
As a graduate of our Sport programmes, you could go on to become a Community Sport Coaching Officer, Physical Education Teacher, Sports Development Manager or a Match Analyst. This course opens doors to a whole world of varied career paths in sports coaching.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Sport and Health Sciences located in the Faculty of Allied Health and Wellbeing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page