Sports Coaching & Performance
Discover the coaching tools and techniques you’ll need to bring out the best in people. This course focuses on improving performance at all levels, from amateur to elite.
We’ve shaped a degree to give you the skills, experiences and networks that can thrust you to the forefront of coaching practice. It’s a programme rooted in applied practice – ensuring that you have plenty of opportunities to turn academic theory into action, with vocational experiences in the real world of professional and amateur sport.
With a range of option modules, you can tailor your degree to your passions, strengths and career goals. By focusing on all areas of athlete development, you can create a path into performance analysis, talent development and elite environments. You’ll gain professional body qualifications throughout, so you’ll be ready for a professional career when you graduate.
Whatever direction you take, you’ll cover various topics that aid player development and underpin performance coaching. Then, in your final year, you’ll undertake an independent project – your chance to develop your specialist area of knowledge that will set you apart.
Why study with us
- Our Sports Science courses are ranked 13th out of 78 institutions in the UK in the Guardian League Table 2021.
- Bachelor of Science with Honours in Sports Coaching and Performance is ranked 12th in the UK with 92% of students satisfied with learning opportunities (National Student Survey 2020)
- This course is endorsed by the Charted Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity, for the role of Coach Practitioner.
What you'll do
- You’ll have the chance to study a range of optional modules, in areas like the performance environment, talent pathways and performance analysis.
- As well as voluntary and paid placements, we offer the chance for you to spend time on exchange trips around the world for up to a year.
- A number of graduates continue to study with us through our MSc Sports Coaching master’s degree, continuing to enhance their knowledge whilst in their full-time job.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
View the course facilities
- This course is aligned with the Entry and General Management professional standards outlined by CIMSPA, the professional development body for the UK's sport and physical activity sector. As a member, you will be entitled to attend seminars and meetings and learn from industry professionals. The Health and Fitness pathway on the course allows students the option to meet professional standards in Gym Instruction, Personal Training, Health Navigator and Working with People with Long Term Conditions.
- This course is endorsed by leading professional body UK Coaching, who aim to make lasting improvements to coaching in the UK - from grass-roots through to elite performance levels.
Our BSc (Hons) Sports Coaching and Performance degree course can put you on the road to professional practice – with the skills, experience and know-how to pursue a future in performance coaching.
This is a degree programme built around the key concepts and components of the profession – it’s made to get you into work. At every turn, we’ll encourage you to apply the theory in real-life situations and settings
You’ll also have the chance to gain practical experiences abroad – a warm weather training camp at the world-renowned Club La Santa sport resort, summer coaching with key partners in the USA, or study abroad years around the world.
The result is a great boost to our graduates’ employability – so it’s no surprise to see so many of them working in the industry today. Some of our previous students now run their own businesses, some have gained coaching roles in professional sport, whilst others are working as performance analysts within elite level football. Others are working as Community Sport Coaching Officers, PE Teachers and Sports Development Managers.
With the range of valuable, transferrable skills you’ll develop on the course, you’ll be equipped to work in a wide range of contexts from the day you graduate.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Sport and Health Sciences located in the Faculty of Allied Health and Wellbeing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page