Sports Coaching & Development
Sport is a powerful tool. This course is your chance to harness it. With the coaching skills and knowledge of development, you’ll be in prime position to enable people to achieve their goals through sport.
Our dynamic Sports Coaching and Development programme combines the theoretical and the practical to develop the skills and capabilities that you’ll need to bring the power of sport into community, school and international environments. As such, you’ll explore a range of different coaching environments, tackle practical coaching problems and develop solutions for working in each context.
While you’ll start off with a strong core of modules, you’ll also have the chance to tailor your degree to your specific coaching interests, with optional modules which allow you to focus on specialisms such as working in schools, international development and developing community projects. Throughout it all, you’ll find an emphasis on developing your professional skills through real-world experiences vital for your career.
Not only will you have a range of opportunities for placements where you will develop your coaching skills and gain vital experience, but you can also choose to spend a sandwich year working in a sports organisation, or at a university abroad through our international partnerships, before completing your final year with an independent research study.
Why study with us
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Sports Coaching is ranked 12th in the UK with 92% of students satisfied with learning opportunities (National Student Survey 2020)
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Sports Coaching and Development is ranked 1st in the North West (Guardian University Guide 2021)
- Our Sports Science courses are ranked 13th out of 78 institutions in the UK in the Guardian League Table 2021.
What you'll do
- Teaching by industry specialists. This course is delivered by staff with real-world experience working in sports coaching and development.
- As your interests and strengths develop, you’ll have the opportunity to make in-module choices to tailor your degree to you.
- The Sports Coaching and Development degree incorporates completing a range of recognised coaching qualifications as part of your degree.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
View the course facilities
- This course is aligned with the Entry and General Management professional standards outlined by CIMSPA, the professional development body for the UK's sport and physical activity sector. As a member, you will be entitled to attend seminars and meetings and learn from industry professionals. The Health and Fitness pathway on the course allows students the option to meet professional standards in Gym Instruction, Personal Training, Health Navigator and Working with People with Long Term Conditions.
- This course is endorsed by leading professional body UK Coaching, who aim to make lasting improvements to coaching in the UK - from grass-roots through to elite performance levels.
With a practical focus on professional skills, our BA (Hons) Sports Coaching and Development degree programme is designed to help you prepare for a career at the front line of sport.
This is a programme that offers both academic understanding and vocational focus – giving you all the tools you’ll need to pursue a career from the day you graduate.
You’ll not only learn about sports coaching and development in the classroom and on campus, but potentially on a range of practical placements too. Whether voluntary or paid, and whether in the UK or in Africa, the USA or China, it’s a chance for you to develop the kind of CV-boosting, once-in-a-lifetime experiences that great careers are built on.
As such, today you’ll find many of our previous graduates working in community coaching, PE teaching and sport development management, while others have gone into health and social work, fitness training and undertaking research. Previous students on this course have been at the forefront of the University’s sports for development project in Zambia, which was organised and delivered by Sports Coaching and Development students.
The course can also lead to a Sports Coaching (MSc) or PE master’s degree, teaching qualification or PhD.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Sport and Health Sciences located in the Faculty of Allied Health and Wellbeing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page