Why study with us
- Our Mechanical Engineering course is ranked in the UK’s top 10 for student satisfaction. Plus it's ranked 1st in the North West (Complete University Guide, 2021).
- Learn using the latest equipment available in our new £35m Engineering Innovation Centre. It houses an additive manufacturing (3D printing) lab, rapid prototyping, CNC workshop, computing labs and more.
- You can join the Innovation Club as well as various research groups. And work with a diverse group of students and staff on innovation and research projects.
Mechanical Engineering BEng 01 / 04
Daniel Wearden - BEng (Hons) Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering
What you'll do
- Choose an optional placement year in industry to gain further practical experience and radically enhance your career prospects.
- On this mechanical engineering course you’ll be tutored by world-class academics with both industry and research experience.
- Work on real-world projects with commercial partners in state-of-the-art facilities.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Study in our Engineering Innovation Centre (EIC)
During your studies with us you’ll benefit from our new £35 million EIC building which provides an integrated teaching space in state-of-the-art facilities.Explore the EIC
Mechanical Engineering BEng facilities
You will get to work in our state-of-the-art Engineering Innovation Centre, containing:
- Motorsports and air vehicles laboratory
- Additive manufacturing lab (3D printing)
- Rapid prototyping
- Computer numerical control (CNC) workshop, featuring the Hurco VMX with advanced verification graphics.
In our Motorsports lab, students get to work on our Formula Student and Formula Ford race cars, eco marathon cars, and race car simulator. They then enter them in national and international competitions.
- This BEng course is accredited by the Institution of Engineering Designers as meeting the academic requirement for membership and registration for Incorporated Engineer and partially meeting Chartered Engineer with the Engineering Council.
- This BEng course is professionally accredited by the IMechE (which represents mechanical engineers and the engineering profession) as meeting partial fulfilment of the educational requirements to become a Chartered Engineer.
Careers with a Mechanical Engineering BEng
Want to find out what you can do with a mechanical engineering degree? Our Mechanical Engineering, BEng (Hons) degree can lead to a diverse career. You can work in areas such as:
- automotive industry
- computing and electronics
- energy conversion
- Ministry of Defence
- research development
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
Contextualised Admissions Bursary
We recognise that the last two years have been very challenging for young people and learning has been impacted. To help support students eligible for a contextualised offer we are offering a bursary of £250 in their first year of study.Find out more about Contextualised Admissions Bursary
This course is based in the School of Engineering and Computing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page