Spent your life taking things apart to see how they work? This could be the course for you. Mechanical Engineering teaches you to design objects and systems with motion.
A mechanical engineer applies fundamental engineering principles such as mechanics, materials, computer-aided design and thermo-fluids to analyse and design objects and systems with motion.
Our Mechanical Engineering, BEng degree provides a rounded education to graduates. This ensures you’re prepared to work in a range of industrial sectors.
You’ll also develop skills in user needs and business plan development. There’s an optional placement route to spend a year in industry between Year 2 and Year 3.
The course is informed by our Advanced Digital Manufacturing Technology (ADMT) research centre and the Jost Institute of Tribotechnology.
Why study with us
- Our Mechanical Engineering offering is ranked in the UK’s top 10 for student satisfaction. Plus it's ranked 1st in the North West (Complete University Guide, 2021).
- Learn using the latest equipment available in our new £35m Engineering Innovation Centre. It houses an additive manufacturing (3D printing) lab, rapid prototyping, CNC workshop, computing labs and more.
- You can join the Innovation Club as well as various research groups. And work with a diverse group of students and staff on innovation and research projects
Mechanical Engineering BEng 01 / 04
Take a look at our amazing Engineering Innovation Centre
What you'll do
- You’ll have the opportunity to join the Innovation Club and work with a group of students and staff on projects. You will also take part in specialised research and industry-led group projects.
- You’ll be tutored by world-class academics with both industry and research experience.
- Work on real-world projects with commercial partners in state-of-the-art facilities.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Study in our Engineering Innovation Centre (EIC)
During your studies with us you’ll benefit from our new £35 million EIC building which provides an integrated teaching space in state-of-the-art facilities.Find out more
Mechanical Engineering BEng facilities
Inside our EIC we have a motorsports and air vehicles laboratory, additive manufacturing lab (3D printing), rapid prototyping, and a computer numerical control (CNC) workshop –featuring the Hurco VMX with advanced verification graphics.
In our Motorsports lab, students get to work on our Formula Student and Formula Ford race cars, eco marathon cars, and race car simulator. They then enter them in national and international competitions.
- This BEng course is accredited by the IED as partially fulfilling the educational requirements to become a Chartered Engineer. The IED is a leading membership body representing engineering product designers.
Careers with a Mechanical Engineering BEng
A Mechanical Engineering, BEng (Hons) degree can lead to a diverse career. You can work in areas such as:
- automotive industry
- computing and electronics
- energy conversion
- Ministry of Defence
- research development
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Engineering located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page