Explore the science of investigation, learning the skills to collect, analyse and interpret evidence. It’s a highly specialised course, designed to put you on a high-impact career path.
Why study with us
- This course is ranked 1st in the North West and in the UK’s top 10 (Complete University Guide 2020).
- Forensic and Archaeological Sciences at UCLan is ranked 4th in the UK with 93% overall satisfaction, whilst being ranked 2nd in the UK for the teaching on the course (National Student Survey 2022).
- We have joined forces with Lancashire Constabulary to create the Lancashire Forensic Science Academy, a ground-breaking partnership that gives our students the chance to shadow operational CSIs at crime scenes.
The Hydra Minerva Suite at the University of Central Lancashire
What you’ll do
- You’ll work in labs equipped with cutting-edge microscopy and analytical equipment, and at our outdoor facility for research in forensic taphonomy and decomposition.
- As well as covering modules focused on the core aspects of Forensic Science, you can focus on specialist areas like genetics, toxicology and anthropology.
- You can take a sandwich-year placement, developing vital career-boosting skills in a local hospital laboratory or with a scientific research project.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
- This course is accredited by the Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences, demonstrating that it provides a solid, widely respected route into the highly competitive field of forensic and criminal investigation.
By the time you graduate from our Forensic Science BSc (Hons) programme, you will be well placed to start an exciting career in areas of forensic science, biological sciences or chemical analysis.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Natural Sciences located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page