It isn’t just the beautiful game – it’s a global business, a sociological phenomenon and a powerful public health tool. Take the chance to explore every aspect of football.
If you love to play football, watch football, talk about football and – one day – would love to work in football, this course is your chance to indulge your passions. With a wide range of modules, you’ll examine the football industry from a variety of perspectives – exploring issues like media, fandom, coaching, development, business, management and events.
It’s a multi-disciplinary course, where you get to link academic theory to real-life practice. And this is the perfect place to do that – with several famous football institutions right on our doorstep, from the Football League HQ to Preston North End. When it comes to professional placements, there are few better places to be.
Whatever your particular interests within football, you’ll have the flexibility to delve deeper. While you’ll start off with a solid core of modules focusing on football media, culture and business, you’ll be able to tailor the course in your second and third years – focusing on areas like coaching, management or performance analysis. So, by the time you graduate, you should have the skills, understanding and experience you’ll need to chart a future in football.
Why study with us
- We offer a unique, inclusive football environment which includes professional coaching, analysis, and individual development plans, giving you every opportunity to play elite football.
- We have strong links across the football world, from grassroots clubs in the local community, to national football bodies and professional clubs throughout England.
- Preston offers the perfect setting, in the heart of the North West. We are home to Preston North End, a founding member of the Football Association, and Dick Kerr Ladies FC, one of the UK’s first ladies’ teams.
What you'll do
- You’ll study football from every angle, from global media markets to tribalism on the terraces.
- Gain real world experiences with visits to leading football industry providers and develop networks in the game via University and PFA partners.
- You’ll learn from research-active academics working at the forefront of the football world, with a wealth of leadership-level experience.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
Visit the course facilities
- This course is aligned with the Entry and General Management professional standards outlined by CIMSPA, the professional development body for the UK's sport and physical activity sector. As a member, you will be entitled to attend seminars and meetings and learn from industry professionals. The Health and Fitness pathway on the course allows students the option to meet professional standards in Gym Instruction, Personal Training, Health Navigator and Working with People with Long Term Conditions.
Our Football Studies BA (Hons) degree course offers skills and understanding across a broad range of topics within football – paving the way for a broad range of careers within the football industry.
This course has been designed to meet the demands of the football industry – with a professional-level knowledge of the sport, together with the flexibility to tailor your studies to your own interests within the industry. As such, with the right combination of modules, you could focus on a future in coaching, community development, marketing, media, management and much more besides.
Throughout your studies, you’ll have the chance to engage with community clubs, professional teams and various employers – ensuring you not only get a real-world understanding of how the sport operates, but also make a start on your own professional networks.
You could even gain valuable career-boosting experience by going abroad to study or volunteer, from our Sport for Development project in Zambia to Challenger Soccer Camps in the USA, as well as various internships and exchange opportunities around the world.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Sport and Health Sciences located in the Faculty of Allied Health and Wellbeing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page