Helen teaches across subjects in the School of Sport & Health Sciences. She has worked at the University of Central Lancashire for several years, including in the School of Psychology and Computer Science , before joining full-time in 2017. As well as teaching at other Higher Education Institutions, Helen has consulted and taught in Public, Private and Third Sector Organisations.
On completion of two Psychology Masters, Helen joined the university teaching team in 2010 contributing to courses and modules in the Schools of Psychology, Sport & Wellbeing, and Health Sciences. Psychology for performance and development is a thread throughout her teaching. With colleagues she has had the Sport Business Management course endorsed by the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA), and is developing CPD offerings for the CIMSPA Academy.
Helen’s teaching career began within a multidisciplinary team at the Bethlem and Maudsley Royal Hospital School. Before leaving London ten years later, she was lead teacher for children with autistic spectrum disorders. Responsible for training and development, her role took her twice to North Carolina whilst self-initiated fundraising took her on a bike ride to Paris. During and after Masters-level study, she continued to teach across age groups, in mainstream and specialist provisions including working with young people not in education, employment or training [NEETs]. At Edge Hill, she was involved in the creation and delivery of the National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination. As a psychologist and consultant, Helen has coached individuals, worked with athletes and consulted in small, medium and large enterprises. Her research interests and consultancy link back to her early days of specialist teaching but now focusing on neurodiversity in sport, talent development, practitioner development and organisational culture.
- MSc Organisational Psychology, Manchester Business School, University of Manchester, 2009
- MSc Sport & Exercise Psychology, The University of Central Lancashire, 2008
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education, Leeds Metropolitan University, 1997
- BA Psychology Honours, University of Sheffield, 1994
- TL3163 - Contemporary Issues in Sports Business Management
- TL3102 - Dissertation
- TL2095 - Research and Enterprise for Sport
- TL2128 - Human Resource Management
- TL1114 - Principles and Practices of Sport Business Management
- TL3160 - Sociological Issues in Disability Sport
- TL3159 - Contemporary Physical Education & School Sport
- TL2209 - Applied Principles of teaching Physical Education
- TL1106 - Introduction to Physical Education
- TL4043 - Strategic Sport Leadership
- Neurodiversity in Sport
- Practitioner Self-Confidence
- Organisational Culture & Talent Development
- Fellow of the Higher Education Authority
- Graduate Member (MBPsS) of the British Psychological Society