This practitioner focused, applied and practical course is delivered by some of the world's leading researchers, in the only laboratories in the North West accredited by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES).
Why study with us
- You’ll apply physiology and biomechanics in a both a research and practitioner-based context.
- Our School is home to some of the world’s leading researchers in the field of nutrition and exercise sciences.
- We have strong links with a large number of sports organisations, including professional sports teams, public and private sector sports providers and grassroots sports clubs.
What you’ll do
- You'll work in laboratories accredited by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES).
- Learn about life in the sports industry through guest lectures. The Premier League and professional rugby clubs are just some of our speakers.
- You’ll have access to the University’s Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre (STFSC) – our multi-million pound, state-of-the-art, purpose-built indoor facility.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
- Our facilities have achieved a BASES Laboratory Accreditation, providing a mark of quality assurance that illustrates the laboratory has undergone meticulous inspection by BASES and that high professional standards of practice have been achieved.
For more information on this course, please contact the course leader Dr Jonathan Sinclair at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Jonathan Sinclair - Course Leader
- Dr Howard Hurst - Module Leader
- Dr Robert Graydon - Module Leader
Dr Jonathan Sinclair is course leader for both the MSc in Sport & Exercise Sciences and the MSc Nutrition and Exercise Sciences. He is research active in Sport Exercise & Nutritional Sciences and part of the SENS consultancy service.
Howard is a Senior Lecturer in Sport, Exercise & Nutritional Sciences and teaches across a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses and modules. He has worked at the University of Central Lancashire since 2005 and completed his PhD investigating the efficacy of intermitten…
View the course facilities
We’re just one of two universities which partners the Football Medicine and Performance Association (FMPA). This partnership has direct links to the football industry and provides opportunities for you to access current practice in football and potential career prospects.
Previous guest lectures have been given by representatives of Wigan Warriors Rugby League Club, Bolton Wanderers Football Club, Blackburn Rovers Football Club, Lancashire Football Association, The Rugby Football League and Preston City Council.
The MSc Sport & Exercise Science course provides graduates with the fundamental transferable and analytical skills for a diverse range of careers. The sports, exercise science, fitness, health and leisure sectors are currently thriving and therefore provide a range of fulfilling careers for postgraduate sports and exercise science graduates. We have a prosperous and ever-developing campus at UCLan with a strong focus on sport and exercise and we have excellent links with governing bodies, athletes, and clubs; which help to provide you with vital work experience and secure future employment.
Recent UCLan graduates are currently working across the fitness, sport, education, research and health sectors.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you need extra support because you have unpaid caring responsibilities alongside your studies.Find out more about Carers Bursary
We offer student athletes support and opportunities for their playing careers whilst they study a high-quality degree.Find out more about Sports scholarships
Alumni Loyalty Discount
UK students with a previous award from us will receive 20% tuition fee discount.Find out more about Alumni Loyalty Discount
This course is based in the School of Health, Social Work and Sport
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page