Our BSc Ophthalmic Dispensing is a unique, two-year fast-track programme for those in the industry who want to gain qualifications while working.
The programme blends online delivery with week-long, on-campus blocks, embedding learning with clinical and practical skills. You can see how the knowledge from the programme can be applied in the real world within your workplace.
On successful completion of this programme, you may have the opportunity to transfer onto the Optometry programme if you meet the requirements to a satisfactory standard.
Please note this course is only available to UK students.
Why study with us
- A fast-track format means you start your pre-registration in your last year and you could be a registered dispensing optician within two years of starting the course.
- You’ll have access to our brand new purpose-built vision sciences facilities including specialist dispensing and refraction labs.
- You will have the opportunity to learn within our on campus Eye Health Clinic, equivalent to a high street practice and open to members of the public.
Gallery01 / 03
What you’ll do
- You’ll be taught by experienced practitioners and visiting clinicians who help supervise and facilitate specific aspects of the programme.
- Gain experience with volunteer patients, from visual impairment charities, who are part of the programme too.
- You’ll be able to visit large scale glazing labs and you'll have access to specialist labs such as the Dispensing and Optometry Pre-Clinical space.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
View the course facilities
- This course is accredited by the General Optical Council. They are the regulator for optical professions in the UK and set standards for optical education and training, performance and conduct. You will need to be registered them throughout the duration of your studies.
As a registered dispensing optician, with a BSc in Ophthalmic Dispensing, you could start your own business, work in a primary care or hospital setting or high street optical practice.
With further study, in specialist areas, or with a research degree, you could also have a career developing new technologies and treatment options.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Medicine located in the Faculty of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page