Sports Business Management
From voluntary organisations to elite global brands and mega events, the business of sport is both unique and dynamic. This course is your way into the industry – offering management expertise shaped for sport.
Sport is a sector set apart from all others, putting business issues in a specific and unique context. So our BSc (Hons) Sport Business Management course does the same – giving you a well-rounded understanding of business theory, while showing you how it all fits in the real-world sporting landscape.
You’ll cover a range of sport-orientated business modules, from sport finance and marketing to sport law and events. You’ll learn the core business disciplines like management, finance, strategy, operations and economics. At the same time, you’ll examine business in sport from a range of international perspectives, exploring issues like sustainability, globalisation, corporate social responsibility and corruption. And, just as sport is highly globalised, our course is too – both in its content and its delivery. On one hand, you’ll look at the challenges sport faces in other countries and cultures. On the other, you could also see those challenges for yourself, thanks to various optional opportunities to study abroad.
By the time you graduate, you should be a critical thinker with the skills, knowledge and experience you need to become an effective leader and manager – ready to pursue your future in sport.
Why study with us
- We are a market leader in sport education, with a long tradition of sport management in the UK. •
- Bachelor of Science with Honours in Sports Business Management is ranked 1st in the UK with 96% of students satisfied with the quality of academic support (National Student Survey 2020)
- Bachelor of Science with Honours in Sports Business Management is ranked 2nd in England for student satisfaction (Complete University Guide 2021)
What you'll do
- You’ll have the option of work placement opportunities to build vital industry experience, as well as the chance to study abroad for up to a year – potentially in the USA, Singapore or Spain.
- You’ll learn from a team of research-active academics – experts in a range of sporting topics, with a wealth of leadership experience.
- In your final year, you’ll have the chance to focus on your interests, with a professional project, research project or dissertation.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
View the course facilities
- This course is aligned with the Entry and General Management professional standards outlined by CIMSPA, the professional development body for the UK's sport and physical activity sector. As a member, you will be entitled to attend seminars and meetings and learn from industry professionals. The Health and Fitness pathway on the course allows students the option to meet professional standards in Gym Instruction, Personal Training, Health Navigator and Working with People with Long Term Conditions.
Our BSc (Hons) Sport Business Management degree can create career opportunities across the global sporting landscape – helping you develop skills and experience for a range of management roles. We have strong national and international links across the sport and fitness industry, including professional clubs like Preston North End and Wigan Warriors.
The sport, health and events sectors have been booming in recent years, creating a range of graduate opportunities. Our degree in Sport Business Management offers an ideal mix of business skills and sport industry know-how to take advantage.
While you’re with us, you’ll have the chance to boost your employability with practical experience. We can offer the opportunity of a placement in the sport industry – which not only offers workplace skills but can sometimes lead directly to a job too. You could also take the opportunity to study abroad, whether for a semester or a whole year, in the USA, Singapore, Cyprus, Italy, Spain, Germany or Kazan University in Russia – studying how sport is delivered, managed and the problems it faces in different cultures.
Once you graduate, you should be ready for a diverse array of roles, from sports management, leisure management and business enterprise, to event management, performance, education, coaching or even public service.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Sport and Health Sciences located in the Faculty of Allied Health and Wellbeing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page