Sport & Physical Education
Combine the physical and the intellectual with a degree that brings together the science and practicalities of human movement with theories around the social impact of sport in education.
This course is both intellectually stimulating and vocationally relevant. It’s a chance to immerse yourself in the active work of physical education and human movement and also an opportunity to understand the environment in different socio-cultural contexts.
You’ll find a good mix of classroom learning and physical activities – building your knowledge and skills through well-integrated practical experiences through work placements and international opportunities. We also allow you to choose modules and activities that reflect your own strengths and ambitions.
In your second year, we support you to gain either a work placement or sandwich year through our solid industry contacts. Third-year students yet the chance to build on everything they’ve learnt by tackling an independent project based on research or consultancy.
Why study with us
- This course has an 83% student satisfaction rating (National Student Survey ,2020) and our Sports Science courses are ranked 13th in the UK in the Guardian League Table 2021.
- This course comes with membership of the Association for Physical Education (AfPE).
- Students are supported to build their experience by gain key industry-specific placements.
What you'll do
- You’ll learn from experts in the field – including many staff with significant experience of teaching in colleges or schools and staff with strong research profiles.
- Gain practical skills that provide an excellent platform for a career in (Physical) Education environments. You will have opportunities to work with local schools, organisations and international partners to enhance your leadership, teaching and employability skills.
- You can take on a 48-week sandwich placement in industry, while there are also options for study exchanges in Europe and North America.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
View the course facilities
- This course is aligned with the Entry and General Management professional standards outlined by CIMSPA, the professional development body for the UK's sport and physical activity sector. As a member, you will be entitled to attend seminars and meetings and learn from industry professionals. The Health and Fitness pathway on the course allows students the option to meet professional standards in Gym Instruction, Personal Training, Health Navigator and Working with People with Long Term Conditions.
The Sport and Physical Education BA (Hons) course is an ideal starting point for a wide range of careers, from teaching and personal training to public services and health management.
With a practical focus on developing relevant skills, independent research along with expert teaching from experienced Physical Education professionals, this is a course designed to prepare you for a diverse range of career opportunities.
While many of our graduates have gone into teaching, some have also gone to work in the commercial and retail sectors, or even set up their own businesses in the physical activity arena. For those with their sights set on further study, this course can also offer the foundation for progression on to postgraduate level.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Sport and Health Sciences located in the Faculty of Allied Health and Wellbeing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page