Dan teaches across the physical education and human movement strands of the physical education and sport degree programme. In recognition of their contributions to teaching, Dan is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Dan also supervises dissertation projects relating to physical education and school sport, and rugby.
Currently, Dan is the module leader for TL1106 Introduction to Physical Education, and TL2209 Applied Principles of Teaching Physical Education, which includes both primary and secondary school student placement experiences. Dan presented the findings his MSc dissertation 'The Effects of Ischemic Post-Conditioning on Recovery from Heavy Resistance Training: A Time Course Study' at the 2018 BASES conference. Dan has also contributed to research on the use of 'research-based inductions' with new university students.
Formerly a secondary school physical education teacher, Dan has a vast range of experience in the delivery of physical education and sport in a school setting. As a PE teacher, Dan had a track record of delivering consistently 'outstanding' teaching and learning. Dan is a member of the Association for Physical Education and has contibuted many teaching and learning resources to the TES resource database. Away from lecturing, Dan has a particularly keen interest in rugby coaching and strength and conditioning for rugby. Dan coaches rugby union, having retired from playing a couple of years ago. Dan is a RFU Level 3 coach and is currently the North of England U18 Assistant Coach. Dan has recently been appointed as Head Coach at Fleetwood RUFC. Previously, Dan worked at Myerscough College where he coached the RFU AASE Academy players, and headed up the academies strength and conditioning provision. Additionally, Dan has coached at Fylde RUFC (National League 2), where he worked as Assistant 1st team Coach, and has held the Lead Coach role for the Lancashire U17 and U18 squads. Dan works casually for the RFU as a Coach Educator and as a Level 3 Coach Mentor and is an associate member of the UKSCA. Dan holds a BSc in Sport and Exercise Science, an MSc in Strength and Conditioning and Post Graduate Certificate in Education. Dan is looking to start a PhD in 2020-21 and aims to research how decision making in PE and sport is taught/coached and what the optimal methods for this are.
- BSc (Hons) Sport & Exercise Science, St Martin's College Lancaster, 2004
- Post Graduate Certificate in Management (P.G.C.M), UCLan, 2008
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education, University of Cumbria, 2009
- MSc Strength & Conditiong Science, St Mary's University Twickenham, 2018
- TL3159 - Contemporary Physical Education & School Sport
- TL3162 - Strength and Conditioning for PE
- TL2209 - Applied Principles of teaching Physical Education
- TL2214 - Developing Healthy Lifestyles
- TL1106 - Introduction to Physical Education
- TL1163 - Lifestyle, Physical Activity and Health
- Rugby, Coaching, Teaching & Learning, Skill Acquisition & Decision Making
- UKSCA Associate Member
- AfPE Member