Dental therapists play an increasingly important role in the delivery of primary care dentistry. The structure of this course is exciting and innovative in that it is integrated with both the BDS Dentistry and the BSc (Hons) Clinical Dental Technology courses.
Why study with us
- Dentistry at the University ranked first in the UK for Student Satisfaction (Complete University Guide 2022).
- You’ll be taught alongside both BDS and Clinical Dental Technician students, allowing you to train as you will practice in the future, as part of the whole dental team.
- You’ll have the opportunity to gain early patient contact during your studies.
Gallery01 / 04
What you’ll do
- You’ll learn clinical skills in one of the most modern phantom head rooms in Europe, equipped with state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment.
- Small class sizes allow for a close and friendly atmosphere with interactive learning opportunities.
- You will gain a broad range of clinical experience, including enhanced skills such as administering Inhalation Sedation, removing sutures (after the wound has been checked) and tooth whitening.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus, with some online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
Your teaching team
Vicky began her career working in General Dental Practice before developing her interest in dental education. She has worked in a variety of educational settings including Health Education North West, Further and Higher Education. She joined us in 2012 following her role as Educ…
Sarah is Course Lead for the BSc Dental Therapy and is involved in teaching across a range of undergraduate programmes including the Bachelor of Dental Surgery, BSc Dental Therapy and BSc Clinical Dental Technology. Sarah is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and is Year 1…
- This course has been accepted by the GDC Registrar. The GDC is the UK-wide statutory regulator of the dental profession. They register qualified dental professionals, work to ensure the quality of dental education, and protect patient safety.
As a graduate of the BSc (Hons) Dental Therapy course you can register with the General Dental Council as a dental therapist. You may also be eligible to apply for entry into the Graduate BDS course.
You will be eligible to apply for a place on a Dental Therapy Foundation Scheme (DTFT) which are designed to support new or recently qualified Dental Therapists during their transition into the Primary Dental Care workforce.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you need extra support because you have unpaid caring responsibilities alongside your studies.Find out more about Carers Bursary
This course is based in the School of Medicine and Dentistry
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page