The MChem – professionally accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) – is now the established mainstream route to becoming a professional chemist in the UK.
Why study with us
- Chemistry is ranked 6th in the UK and top in the North West for graduate prospects in the Complete University Guide 2022.
- Option to undertake a 48-week sandwich placement in industry between your second and third years.
- You’ll get an insight into ‘green chemistry’ and how the chemical industry is adopting revolutionary processes which are more environmentally friendly.
Masters in Chemistry
- You’ll gain hands-on skills in our fantastic facilities, including advanced analytical instruments such as mass spectrometers, X-ray diffractometers, electron microscopes and more.
- This is a unique degree – as well as offering a solid lab-based foundation in the traditional aspects of Chemistry, you’ll also explore cutting-edge specialist fields such as drug design and development, nanotechnology and the recent adoption of sustainable chemicals manufacture which has given rise to ‘green chemistry.’
- You’ll benefit from our chemistry-based research focused on materials chemistry within our Centre for Smart Materials, providing a focus for study in your third year.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Join us on campus
Book a place at our Undergraduate Open Day on Saturday 17 June. Here you'll be able to explore our campus and facilities, meet academic staff and chat to students.Book your place
MChem course facilities
- This course is accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry. RSC are the UK’s professional body for chemical scientists with a worldwide community.
MChem graduate jobs
You’ll graduate with a widely-respected qualification that major employers of chemists – and the Royal Society of Chemistry – are looking for.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Natural Sciences located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page