Astronomy (Distance Learning)
This is distance learning in every sense – exploring the galaxy from your home. It’s a chance to indulge in your passion for astronomy and cosmology, taking your studies at your pace.
Why study with us
- Our Astronomy provision is ranked 2nd in the UK with 96% overall satisfaction (National Student Survey, 2021)
- This is the first and only distance-learning single subject Astronomy degree available from a UK university.
- Study at your own pace – choosing how many modules to study each year. At first, you can even test the waters with individual modules.
What you'll do
- The course concentrates on the astronomical principles, avoiding complicated mathematics where it can.
- You’ll have the chance to work with observations from our new £200,000 telescope for your dissertation.
- You’ll study astronomy, cosmology, astrobiology and our Milky Way and galaxies beyond, drawing on the expertise of our staff with research interests in solar and stellar astrophysics, and galactic and extragalactic astronomy.
This is a distance learning course which is taught entirely online with no face-to-face teaching.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Have an offer to study this September?
Received an offer to study a course at UCLan? Book your offer holder day for the opportunity to explore life here and chat to our current students.Book your offer holder day
Institute of Physics (IOP)
The BSc (Hons) in Astronomy is recognised by the Institute of Physics (IOP) and all graduates are eligible for Membership of the Institute. Students on the course are eligible for IOP digital student membership.
While our BSc (Hons) Astronomy BSc lets you explore your passions, it also offers the scientific skills and advanced understanding to enhance careers and open new possibilities such as postgraduate study.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Natural Sciences located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page