Are you interested in supporting the healthcare team and working alongside doctors? Want to help with the diagnosis and management of patients? Our MSc Physician Associate Practice course opens doors to a rewarding career.
Why study with us
- You’ll learn in state-of-the-art facilities. Our clinical skills laboratories have a vast range of equipment. This will help you develop clinical skills in hospital and GP surgery environments.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the human body in our Human Anatomy Resource and Learning Centres. You'll also use great resources such as our Anatomage table and diagnostic imaging equipment.
- You'll spend over 50% of the course on clinical placements with our NHS clinical education partners. This will be across Lancashire and/or Cumbria. You will receive support for your travel to placements, currently £2601 per year.
Gallery01 / 07
Tim Smith - School of Medicine and Dentistry Academic Lead at our Westlakes Campus
What you'll do
- You’ll be taught in small groups offering unrivalled student support and direct contact hours with staff. You will be timetabled to have over 25 hours per week of direct, interactive teaching.
- You’ll have the opportunity to learn from our MSc Physician Associate graduates who regularly attend sessions to share their experiences of working in a professional healthcare environment.
- You’ll be exposed to variety of patients and medical conditions during placements in both urban and rural NHS hospitals and GP practices.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus, with some online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
Jane is the Programme Director of our Physician Associate portfolio within the School and teaches across a range of subjects. With expertise in many areas of clinical practice, Jane’s scholarship has led to collaborative projects with NHS hospital and community organisations. In …
Dr Dixon teaches across a range of subjects on the Physician Associate course. His background is in General Practice and community based medical education as well as a GP Trainer and Appraiser.
- The centre is accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons, a professional membership organisation and registered charity which exists to advance patient care. The Royal College of Surgeons of England, registered charity number 212808.
Hear from our students
I've really enjoyed my time at the University of Central Lancashire and whilst the course is obviously very challenging, I've made so many great friends and had experiences I will never forget.
On completion of the course, you’ll be well prepared to take the Physician Associate National Exam. After completing this successfully you’ll be able to become a physician associate. You can apply to join the profession’s voluntary register. The General Medical Council (GMC) will soon be assuming responsibility for this.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you need extra support because you have unpaid caring responsibilities alongside your studies.Find out more about Carers Bursary
We offer student athletes support and opportunities for their playing careers whilst they study a high-quality degree.Find out more about Sports scholarships
Alumni Loyalty Discount
UK students with a previous award from us will receive 20% tuition fee discount.Find out more about Alumni Loyalty Discount
This course is based in the School of Medicine and Dentistry
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page