Dr Antonio Jr. Villarivera
School of Medicine
Antonio teaches across a range of pre-clinical and clinical topics with particular emphasis on anatomy, surgery, and simulation-based activities.
Antonio currently teaches the MPAP course (Years 1 & 2) at our Westlakes Campus. This includes teaching and supervising the anatomy laboratory, clinical skills, and weekly case-based discussion sessions. He is also involved in the acute care simulation sessions for Years 3 and 4 of the MBBS Programme where he helps students hone and improve their skills in managing acutely unwell patients.
After years of clinical practice in the Philippines, Antonio moved to Malaysia to join Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia (NUMed). He was a senior lecturer (and eventually an associate professor) delivering medical education to both local and international students. He was one of the pioneer members who jumpstarted the school's simulation-based medical education programme which provided students, across all year levels, the knowledge and skills needed to manage both stable and acutely unwell patients. Before joining us in September 2022, he held the post of Assistant Clinical Dean of the school and was involved in setting up the hospital placements for Years 3, 4 and 5 students.
- Diploma in Medical Education (with distinction), Newcastle University upon Tyne, 2016
- Certificate in Medical Education (with distinction), Newcastle University upon Tyne, 2014
- Residency Training in General Surgery, Capitol Medical Centre, Manila, Philippines, 2004
- Doctor of Medicine, Cebu Doctors' College of Medicine, Cebu City, Philippines, 1995
- Bachelor of Science Major in Biology, University of the Philippines, 1991
- Simulation Based Medical Education
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy UK
- Fellow, International College of Surgeons
- Member, Pan-Asia Simulation Society in Healthcare