The MA Photography programme offers an in-depth, creative and socially engaged postgraduate level education in the practices of contemporary photography. From darkroom practice and professional development through to a final degree show, we will nurture your visual development and critical thinking.
We live in a visual age. Photography, as well as images and visual artefacts, plays a huge role in how we see and understand a range of issues in the past, present and future. Through a mix of practical and research-based modules, the MA will support the visual and critical development of your practice, helping you to bring ownership to your ideas whilst creating visually exciting and intellectually stimulating visual work.
Through a blend of taught lectures and independent practice, supported by workshops, tutorials and field exercises, you will be encouraged to develop work that focuses on your strengths and interests while having the support and encouragement to think about how photographs are created, used, discussed and shared in our increasingly visually rich world.
Why study with us
- Outstanding facilities and staff within our purpose-built Media Factory building, a hub for the creative industries.
- You’ll get to use industry-standard digital cameras and a digital photography IT suite with large format scanners, exhibition-quality digital printing facilities, and computing suites equipped with the latest software packages.
- We have three photography studios equipped to a standard that makes them comparable with any modern professional studio. We also have excellent darkroom facilities and our own photography base-room.
Degree Show 2021
Discover the award-winning creative work produced by our postgraduate Photography students. The degree show features work in a range of mediums by students from the School of Arts & Media.
Gallery01 / 05
What you'll do
- There will be opportunities to attend guest lecturers by leading practitioners, editors and curators, helping you to build links with industry professionals.
- Opportunities to work on live briefs for real clients, enabling you to gain relevant professional skills and experience.
- Our intensive workshop sessions will enable to you attain the relevant skills and undertake visual problem-solving while developing your understanding of industry expectations, skill levels and how to further your career.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View our course facilities
The MA in Photography will help you prepare for a professional or academic career in photography and related visual fields.
Our graduates have gone on to work as freelance fashion photographers, sports photographers and in digital editing and filmmaking amongst many other successful and varied careers.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Arts and Media located in the Faculty of Culture and Creative Industries
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page