We operate a suite of bespoke darkrooms within Victoria building which can facilitate multi- format monochrome and colour film processing and printing.
The darkrooms have monochrome and colour film processing facilities utilising tank processing and film and print drying machines.
Within the monochrome printing darkrooms, enlargers are located in interconnecting safe lit bays with darkroom sinks for wet print processing.
- Therma Photo ACP 505 colour print processor
- C41 colour tempering bath for processing 35mm, 120mm, 5x4 film
- 14 Black and white enlargers (Durst, Kaiser, LPL) with timers and masking frames for 35mm, 120mm, 5x4 film
- 2 DeVere floor standing enlargers
- 4 Durst Colour Enlargers capable of a wide range of film formats for colour printing
- Paterson film processing tanks for processing film from 35mm, 120mm, 5X4 film
- Film dryers
- Ilford print dryer
- Print drying racks for fibre based papers
- Darkroom accessories include: Print trays (various sizes), measuring cylinders, thermometers, masking frames, contact print frames, enlarger timers, focus scopes, printing MG filters
- Finishing room supplied with guillotines and mounting materials
- All chemistry is supplied
Where possible and with prior arrangement, staff will work flexibly during the working day to accommodate specific support requirements which do not fit into the specified timetable.
Please note that these facilities are used for scheduled teaching activities. These facilities are available for authorised students to use outside of these times for individual study purposes. Please contact technical staff for details.
Use of these facilities by others is by special arrangement which is usually attained by the provision of a demonstrable rationale for the use of the resources contained within these facilities that directly supports their course of study. This may require a referral from an academic tutor. Subsequently, if approved, you may be required to attend a facility induction run by technical staff.
Due to the innate technical nature of the equipment and processes contained within this facility, there is a prerequisite for students to attend a technical induction and then following that they may be required to complete further course based technical instruction workshops prior to permission being granted for their independent use of this facility.
The Photography Darkrooms can be found in 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 115 of the Victoria Building