On this demanding and intellectually challenging course you’ll gain an in-depth understanding of the latest concepts in molecular biology techniques and laboratory management in the world of DNA profiling.
Why study with us
- Accredited by The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences.
- You’ll be taught by staff who are nationally and internationally recognised experts in the field of forensic DNA profiling.
What you'll do
- Gain extensive hands-on practical experience in various laboratory techniques, eventually developing the skills to plan and execute a research project
- You’ll also have access to a field taphonomic research facility for relevant outdoor experimentation, and a moot court.
- You’ll have access to a state-of-the-art molecular biology facility which is equipped with most modern genetic analysers, PCR and Real Time PCR machines, and next generation sequencers.
I have really enjoyed gaining lab experience and getting to know the different instruments that professionals use day-to-day. The Professors are amazing and they keep us up to date with the latest techniques. There’s always support if you have any questions.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
Will has been working in forensic genetics since 1994. He joined UCLan in 2002 and has been involved in establishing and teaching on the Forensic Science and DNA Profiling MSc as well as teaching on the undergraduate courses. He has also been actively researching various areas …
Judith has a broad background in teaching and research focussing on molecular genetics. Her interests are in how genetic variation influences function and how we can utilise this variation for individual identification and to understand the relationships within and between popula…
- This course is accredited by the Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences, demonstrating that it provides a solid, widely respected route into the highly competitive field of forensic and criminal investigation.
We have a wide variety of links with local, national and international laboratories and academic institutions, all of which provide valuable contacts for students wishing to enter professions related to DNA profiling. Further details and contacts are available from members of the teaching team.
This course will equip you with the expertise needed to pursue a successful career in the forensic DNA profiling sector and related areas such as molecular biology, genetics and population genetics.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you need extra support because you have unpaid caring responsibilities alongside your studies.Find out more about Carers Bursary
We offer student athletes support and opportunities for their playing careers whilst they study a high-quality degree.Find out more about Sports scholarships
Alumni Loyalty Discount
UK students with a previous award from us will receive 20% tuition fee discount.Find out more about Alumni Loyalty Discount