Our foundation degree in Software Engineering will give you the skills you need to enjoy an exciting career in this rapidly growing industry.
Why study with us
- With our practical approach to learning, you’ll get to apply the ideas and techniques you learn in your own work environment.
- We’ll also provide you with the academic basis you need to top-up to a full Honours Degree.
- This course has been developed in close collaboration with BAE Systems to meet the needs of organisations developing complex software.
What you'll do
- You’ll develop programming and analysis skills and an understanding of computer and network technology.
- Apply your software development skills to the challenge of developing interactive games using 3D graphics.
- Learn to program effectively in Java, C++, and C#, use leading database management systems, study communications and networks, and apply project management skills.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
After completing this course you’ll have the opportunity to progress to our full Software Engineering, BSc (Hons) course.
Graduates from our BSc course have gone on to work for some of the world’s biggest companies in the digital sector, including EA Games, GCHQ, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Intel and Nokia.
Accreditations and Memberships
- We are an Educational Member of the British Computer Society providing benefits to our students such a free BCS membership for the duration of their Computer Science course. This help connections with the tech industry through BCS mentors, enables access to bespoke events with industry experts, as well as interactive career tools include CV writer, interview simulator, personal assessments and e-learning.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
Contextualised Admissions Bursary
We recognise that the last two years have been very challenging for young people and learning has been impacted. To help support students eligible for a contextualised offer we are offering a bursary of £250 in their first year of study.Find out more about Contextualised Admissions Bursary
This course is based in the School of Engineering and Computing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page