Our Journalism Foundation Entry Degree gives you an insight into the practice of journalism and the skills and knowledge required by journalists.
Why study with us
- 2ndin the North West for graduate prospects (outcomes)Complete University Guide (Communication & Media Studies)
5in the UK for overall positivityNational Student Survey (Journalism) (compared with unis in the Guardian University Guide)
5in the UK for academic supportNational Student Survey (Journalism) (compared with unis in the Guardian University Guide)
- You will take NCTJ examinations, successful completion of which leads to your NCTJ Diploma - a recognised and important kitemark of excellence in journalism training.
- Our partnership with the UK’s largest multimedia publisher, Reach PLC means you benefit from a structured, rotating day-release programme, working alongside Journalists at Lancs Live.
- You’ll create your own unique portfolio of journalism experience by studying a range of specialist, optional modules such as Magazines, Data, Music and Photo Journalism.
Discover cJAM Journalism, our networking event for students
What you'll do
- We’re part of the Google News Lab University Network. Access in-person and online training on topics including immersive storytelling, data journalism, trust, and more.
- Showcase your ideas, enthusiasm, skills and talent at our cJAM careers event with industry professionals. The event closes with placements awarded to successful students.
- Learn from a network of regular journalism industry guests and access work placement opportunities.
A day in the life of a Journalism student
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
- This course has been accredited by the BJTC and recognised as providing 'general excellence in broadcast journalism training'. The BJTC is an industry-led body offering accreditation to courses for aspiring journalists.
- The NCTJ recognised UCLan as the top performing Higher Education course in the UK in 2022. We've gone through a rigorous inspection process to ensure that our course meets the latest industry standards. Your NCTJ Diploma forms an integral part of your studies.
You’ll find our alumni working professionally at every level, not only within TV, radio, online/digital, magazines and communications but also in professions where their transferable skills are in demand.