You'll love our Games Design course if you want to design the games you play. From the start, you’ll be designing and developing games, from design and animation to digital modelling.
Why study with us
- 3rdin the UK for career prospectsGuardian University Guide (Animation and Games Design)
- Games Design at the University of Central Lancashire is accredited by Unreal Academic Partner Program.
- This course is ranked 1st in the North West with 83% of students satisfied with the student experience (Times Good University Guide 2021).
- Many of our graduates are now well-respected games designers and artists. They now work in a variety of high-profile companies in the games industry.
A day in the life of a Games Design student
Games Design gallery01 / 05
What you'll do
- You’ll have the opportunity to work on live projects with companies, adding a real boost to your CV.
- You're encouraged to work like a games designer. You'll have creative freedom and will learn the necessary skills to develop your own ideas.
- We have an established visiting Industry Speaker programme. We host talks from Lead Designers, 3D Artists, QA, Production and Technical Artists. Our speakers come from both AAA and independent game development studios.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Games Design course facilities
Hear from our students01 / 03
BA (Hons) Games Design - Jordan Spencer's Experience
- The course is part of the Unreal Academic Partner Program. Which recognises UCLan’s provision of experienced staff and high-quality resources. As well as our commitment to excellent student experience in preparation for their future careers.
Future careers in Games Design
Our games design degree alumni have gone on to work for a variety of highly successful games companies. For example TT Games, Ninja Theory, Sumo Digital, Lucid Games, Media Molecule, Firesprite, Supermassive Games and Rebellion.
Some of other graduates have built very successful businesses. White Paper Games, set up by our Games and Animation alumni, was founded 10 years ago and we have great relationships with the founders who to this day, support student learning on the Games Design course.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you are from a low income household our Financial Bursary may be able to help.Find out more about Financial Bursary