Our Civil Engineering course is founded on strong industry links in a region that boasts a wide range of cutting-edge engineering and technology.
Why study with us
- Our courses are supported by an Industry Advisory Committee with representatives from regional SME, as well as national and international companies. This ensures courses remain relevant to industry requirements; they are also very keen to meet students on project presentation days.
- Work in the broad area of civil engineering or specialise either as a structural engineer, environmental engineer or geotechnical engineer.
- Work on live projects with our industry partners and advance your project management skills. This will be a huge asset as you progress into more senior roles during your career.
What you'll do
- Step out on regular field trips to see best practice projects and get hands-on experience of live projects.
- Design projects are used to bring all aspects of civil engineering together. You'll assess real-life scenarios, from reservoirs for water supply to the design of new motorway junctions and bridges.
- Take the opportunity to become a research intern, working with the University’s research staff during your summer vacation.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Take a look at our amazing Engineering Innovation Centre
Hear from our students
The main benefit of the placement the course offers is being able to gain a practical understanding of your degree and apply knowledge to the projects you're working on.
Trips and visits
Field trips and site visits help to bring the theory to life. Previous students have visited Tata Shapfell limestone works, the Low-Level Waste Repository, the Heron Mill hydro project and the Constructionarium.
Our students also visited Blencathra on a funded, low-carbon, three-night residential field trip. This trip focussed on local geology, environmental issues and how this influences the area's civil engineering.
Trip spotlight - Blencathra, Lake District01 / 03
Civil Engineering at UCLan is committed to producing strong forward-thinking graduates who are competently able to resolve modern civil engineering challenges.
You'll be taught by teaching staff with a wide range of expertise from ground improvement to environmental clean-up through to water management and materials deformation. Research active staff incorporate their work into their teaching to transfer that knowledge to our students with industrially experienced staff bringing expertise on current industrial practices to our students.
Civil Engineering at UCLan is guided by an Industry Advisory Committee (IAC) composed of industry-active civil engineers; the role of the IAC is to enable teaching and hence graduate knowledge to be relevant and pertinent to the current civil engineering industries.
You'll also learn from leading industry professionals through optional placements, guest speakers workshops, projects and our annual careers event.
Alison runs the civil engineering courses and acts as Athena Swan Champion for the School.
Leila is a Lecturer in Civil Engineering. She teaches a range of subjects for our School of Engineering. Leila is also actively involved in a wide array of research relating to Hydraulic structures, Flood defence, River Engineering and Permeable Pavement. She is also involved in …
View the course facilities
- This course has been accredited by the CIOB, the globally recognised professional body for construction and leadership. Accreditation can lead to high level career opportunities in large organisations and private practice.
- This degree is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) comprising the Institution of Civil Engineers, Institution of Structural Engineers, Institute of Highway Engineers, and the Chartered Institution of Highways on behalf of the Engineering Council partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Successful graduates will be valued by society as the new digital pioneers of civil engineering, using modern methods of solving societal problems.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you are from a low income household our Financial Bursary may be able to help.Find out more about Financial Bursary
This course is based in the School of Engineering and Computing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page