Do you want to create visual art for games? Develop innovative concept art for all aspects of games? This course is a hands-on experience where you will design everything from characters to props, environments to whole worlds.
Why study with us
- Game Art at the University of Central Lancashire is accredited by Unreal Academic Partner Program.
- We are an industry-led, industry focused course. Created and taught by currently practicing professionals using the most current software and techniques.
- This course has been developed with our significant Games Design alumni and has direct industry relevance. You will get to meet our graduates who are working across the industry and learn from their shared experiences.
What you'll do
- You will have the opportunity to work on live projects linked to industry artists, providing a much-needed edge to your portfolio and CV.
- You are encouraged to have creative freedom as an artist, but you will also be learning necessary industry focused skills using our dedicated studio and industry standard techniques and equipment.
- We have an established visiting Industry Speaker programme. We host talks from 3D Artists, Concept Artists, Technical Artists, Designers, Production and QA to name a few. Our speakers come from both AAA and independent game development studios.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by December 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Game Art course facilities
This course operates in a studio dedicated to games. Equipped with the latest PCs and software. The studio mimics a professional environment, and we encourage students to make this space their own. We engender a collaborative learning experience between staff and students. We provide access to online resources such as the GDC Vault for student reference.
- The course is part of the Unreal Academic Partner Program. Which recognises UCLan’s provision of experienced staff and high-quality resources. As well as our commitment to excellent student experience in preparation for their future careers.
Our course team have a wide variety of skills and are highly experienced in developing your game art, creative thinking, 3D modelling and visual design skills. Out team includes Principal Lecturer James Thompson, Senior Lecturer Rhoda Daly, Senior Lecturer Josh Taylor, Lecturer Naomi Robinson and Associate Lecturers Pete Bottomley, Josh Wright and James Burton of White Paper Games studio.
Josh has over ten years’ experience in the Games Industry working mainly as a Lead Art/Art Director and has experience in concept art, 2D art, modelling, animation and user interface design. He was most notably the Lead Artist on ‘Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone’. He main…
Josh works on multiple modules for the Games Design course, focused around the design principles within the Games Industry, from theory, level design and implementation of ideas into the Unreal Engine. Within the Unreal Engine we look to explore a vast amount of game genres, from…
The UK games industry is one of the largest areas of the creative sector and we have seen significant expansion in our own North West regional economy. The Game Art course is uniquely positioned to take advantage of this by helping you create a cutting-edge portfolio which will open up exciting career opportunities within the games industry.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you are from a low income household our Financial Bursary may be able to help.Find out more about Financial Bursary