Computing (Foundation Entry)
On this challenging and highly practical Computing Foundation Entry degree, you’ll examine the application of innovative technology to solve commercial and industrial computing problems.
Why study with us
- No previous computing experience is required. The course develops essential computing skills and explores a wide range of modern applications of IT.
- In your foundation year you’ll develop technical skills and the confidence and academic skills required for honours-level study.
- You’ll study modules that are common to other specialist courses. So you can opt to transfer to Business Computing, Databases, Multimedia, Software Development or Computer Networks.
Discover our Computer Science courses
What you'll do
- You’ll use specialist software to do things that would not be allowed on a public network (for example, configuring networks or database servers, or testing system security).
- Where possible, we make software available for you to use on your own PC.
- We’ll give you opportunities to show off your technical skills and gain vital work experience as well to boost your employability.
Hear from our students
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Join us on campus
Book a place at our Undergraduate Open Day on Saturday 17 June. Here you'll be able to explore our campus and facilities, meet academic staff and chat to students.Book your place
View the course facilities
Accreditations and Memberships
- The CITP provides independent recognition for professionals in the IT industry. This course has accreditation leading to BCS Professional Member (MBCS), Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP) and partial CEng exemption from the BCS, the professional computing body.
- The BCS are the professional body for computing and provide recognition for professionals in the IT industry. This course has accreditation leading to BCS Professional Member (MBCS), Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP) and partial CEng exemption from the BCS.
- We are an Educational Member of the British Computer Society providing benefits to our students such a free BCS membership for the duration of their Computer Science course. This help connections with the tech industry through BCS mentors, enables access to bespoke events with industry experts, as well as interactive career tools include CV writer, interview simulator, personal assessments and e-learning.
A Computing Foundation Entry degree can lead to a range of careers including: analysing clients' business requirements and specifying appropriate IT systems, designing and managing networks, or developing multimedia, databases or high-performance software.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Psychology and Computer Science located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page