Did you ever wonder how stars and galaxies came to be? Astrophysics can provide the answer – with the skills, methods and knowledge to investigate the physics of our universe.
Why study with us
- Learn at one of the UK’s best-equipped teaching observatories, with our recent £200,000 investment in probably the most powerful modern optical telescope available in the country.
- Physics and Astronomy is ranked 2nd in the North West for research intensity (CUG, 2022). Research intensity is a measure of the amount of staff involved in high-quality research in the university.
- In the 2022 National Student Survey, 92% of Physics and Astrophysics respondents were overall satisfied with their course, with a 90% rating for the teaching on the course.
What you’ll do
- Because the course starts off with the same modules as our Physics and Physics with Astrophysics courses, you can swap courses at the end of your first year.
- Our MPhys route is highly recommended if you’re planning a career in scientific research.
- You’ll become an active part of our vibrant research culture, learning from research-informed teaching, working on projects and even joining funded internships.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Have an offer to study this September?
Received an offer to study a course at UCLan? Book your offer holder day for the opportunity to explore life here and chat to our current students.Book your offer holder day
View the course facilities
- This course is accredited by the IOP, the professional body and learned society for physics in the UK and Ireland. On completion of this course graduates can progress towards Chartered Physicist (Phys) status.
Our MPhys (Hons) Astrophysics degree course provides the analytical and mathematical skills which are prized across a range of industries, as well as a strong foundation for a career in research.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Natural Sciences located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page