When you’re a GP or other healthcare professional, you need to be able to deal with whatever you encounter. Our MSc Urgent Care course will give you the confidence and skills you need to oversee urgent and pre-hospital care so that you can achieve the best possible outcome for your patients.
Why study with us
- Teaching takes place in the stunning surroundings of West Cumbria – you’ll be taught at the National Centre for Remote and Rural Medicine (NCRRM), based at our Westlakes campus near Whitehaven.
- Being based in Westlakes opens up opportunities for placements in rural communities.
- You can choose to study this course in ‘bite-size chunks’ to enable you to enjoy a good work-life balance.
What you'll do
- You can tailor your learning to the needs of your own professional practice – so you could learn about delivering medicine and urgent care from a fixed base, or as part of a medical team supporting other pursuits – such as mountain medicine, expedition medicine, medicine relating to extreme sports, or pre-hospital emergency care.
- If you're looking for a refreshing change of lifestyle and opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors and endless leisure opportunities, then you'll love studying at Westlakes.
- In your free time you’ll be able to venture into the Lake District, England's largest national park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
PGCert and PGDip
- MB4065: Providing Urgent Medical Care
- MB4412: Human Factors and Managing Safe Dispositions
- MB4413: Operational Practice and Using Technology in Urgent Care
- MB4072: Working in Urgent Care Medical Services
- MB4069: Risk Management and Urgent Care Preparedness
- MB4411: Professional Development though CPD
- MB4410: Professional Development though CPD
MB4065: Providing Urgent Medical Care
You'll learn to adapt practice to the urgent care setting. The module introduces critical understanding of emergency care and time-critical conditions. As well as advanced clinical reasoning in the care of undifferentiated caseloads. As a practitioner, you'll gain the skills to manage patients in a variety of contexts, such as the care of specific populations and specific medical conditions.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
Dr Tim Sanders is a GP in the rural Eden Valley in North East Cumbria. Alongside his clinical role, he is a Clinical Lecturer in Rural Medicine and Urgent Care here. He also co-ordinates the clinical teaching programme for Cumbria Health on Call. He is a GP appraiser and Mental H...
Professor Martin McGrath is a general practitioner, urgent care clinician, primary care network clinical director, medical planner, educator and appraiser.
- The centre is accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons, a professional membership organisation and registered charity which exists to advance patient care. The Royal College of Surgeons of England, registered charity number 212808.
- The University of Central Lancashire is an Adventure Smart UK partner.
Achieving the MSc Urgent Care demonstrates your interest and commitment to this area of clinical practice.
Whether you are already working in the Urgent Care setting or aspire to do so in the future, this programme will provide you with the knowledge and skills to get you where you want to be.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
If you need extra support because you have unpaid caring responsibilities alongside your studies.Find out more about Carers Bursary
The University offers opportunities for student athletes to be supported with their aspirations of maintaining their playing career whilst also studying for a high-quality degree.Find out more about Sports scholarships
Alumni Loyalty Discount
UK students with a previous award from us will receive 20% tuition fee discount.Find out more about Alumni Loyalty Discount
This course is based in the School of Medicine and Dentistry
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page