Professor Martin McGrath
Professor Martin McGrath is a general practitioner, urgent care clinician, primary care network clinical director, medical planner, educator and appraiser.
Martin's roles include supporting the design and delivery of MSc programmes (in remote and rural medicine, urgent medical care, disaster medicine and military medicine), promoting UCLan's relationships with Defence Medical Services, the Defence Medical Academy and international institutions and developing alternative routes of entry into healthcare programs from members of the Armed Forces and military veterans. He is the author of one of the first textbooks in urgent medical care, due to be published in early 2022.
Martin spent the first part of his career in the military where he developed special interests in prehospital care, aviation medicine and medical leadership. His roles included coordination and control of UK Defence strategic aeromedical evacuations during the Iraq campaign and multiple senior medical officer operational deployments across the Middle East. He graduated from the military’s Advanced Command and Staff Course before commanding an advanced medical unit involved in the planning and execution of multiple complex Afghanistan operations and counter terrorism contingency planning for the 2012 London Olympics.
He transitioned to the NHS, becoming a partner in the country’s largest super-practice and a director within an urgent care centre which later provided the blueprint for NHS urgent treatment centres. He is a Fellow of the Faculty of Medical Leadership & Management and Examiner in Urgent Medical Care for the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
- MBChB, University of Birmingham, 1995
- Diploma in Child Health, Royal College of Paediatrics, 1995
- Diploma in Aviation Medicine, KCL, 2003
- Diploma in Urgent Medical Care, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 2019
- Diploma in Immediate Medical Care, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 2012
- Master of Arts (Defence Studies), King’s College London, 2010
- Finalist - Healthcare Leader of the Year, GP Awards 2017
- Urgent Medical Care
- Healthcare System Design
- Healthcare Improvements
- Healthcare Education and Development
- Medical Leadership and Team-working
- Fellow of the Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management, 2019
- Member of the Royal College of General Practitioners, 2005
- Member of the Royal Aeronautical Society, 2003
- Member, East Midlands Clinical Senate
- Examiner, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- GP Board Member, Integrated Care System